pumps and powerheads

paultn

Reaction score
i was lookin at pumps and powerheads and realised i cud get pumps with a much higher flow than powerheads for the same price :dunno: , is there any difference, and so can i just use a pump instead of a powerhead???

Pretty much. But what size tank and for what purpose? The pumps tend to run hotter, so that is an issue.

Well, you don't want to turn your tank into a blender, so be careful not to get one too powerful. All the power heads I have in both my tanks are labeled as Pumps/Power Heads on the box. CA, and Rio are the two brands that all of my lfs recommend.

pumps handle head pressure where as powerheads are more for water movement rather than to run equipment.

ste :)

True ste but there are Mag "pumps" that have GPH much less than other "powerheads".

Aoivd Rios! Electrocution issues in the past!!!

The odds of having too much flow are zero unless you have a DSB and are concerned about dust storms. But there is simply no chance of creating in an aquarium the kind of flow experienced in a natural reef setting.

Aoivd Rios! Electrocution issues in the past!!!

Awe pooh... :p

Rios now have the grounded plugs same as all others. Plus they flow closer to advertised gph than other powerheads. IMO

GL

but they still have that prone to failure oil motor gizmo thing ok I don't recall exactly what it was called but you know what I mean. For circulation, the Rio Seios, however, appear to be a good choice. But I see no reason to use one for a main return or skmmer pump when others are out there tha tare quieter and historically more reliable (except for your good experience, of course, GL)

A pump will handle pressure much better than a powerhead. So if you are going to be pushing water from a below tank sump, a pump is better suited for the task. You can add an inline ball valve to scale back the amount of flow from the pump without damaging the pump. You cannot do this with a powerhead. If all you are wanting to do is add water movement to the tank, go with a powerhead.

I am with ostrow, stay away from Rios. I have read horror stories about them, plus they run hotter than other powerheads, so you run the risk of overheating the tank (that is if they don't short out and fry everything in there before that)

just thought i'd drag this post up rather than starting another about pumps...

I'm still planning our tank for when we've moved.

Its been slightly down sized (and may be again) but the logic will be the same whatever size it ends up being :D

Right, at the moment it's looking like a 170 gal (us) so i'd be looking for about 2000gph turnover. (does that sound ok?)
the sump will be below and the water will need pumping back into the tank from it.

now the pump... are pond pumps ok to use?
or should i be looking for a marine pump?

and should i be looking for something rated at say 3000gph max to account for the head preasure?

1700ltr per hour is the minimum you should be considering.. 2000 is good but if you can get 3000 even better!
IMO you simply cannot have enough flow going through the tank. However, i would advise that you dont have the flow all coming fro 1 direction, its better to have 2 powerheads or an "inflow" from the return pump and a powerhead placed opposite each other and riceted towards the front of the tank to create turbulance.

Hope this helps.

Once you get over 100-125 gallons, it is time to step up to an external. They are more efficient and offer more flow per dollar.

On my 180, I run a Gen-X PCX 40, and find it to be about the perfect size.

I split the return so it goes to both sides of the tank.

GL

I'm thinking of actually using 2 pumps to do this - that way if one fails - ok i've not got idea flow rate for a while - but at least i'd have some flow still.

is there any reason a pond pump shouldn't be used (will the salt kill it?)

Most reactions

Back