Puffers SLAYED the brine shrimp

Acclaimed

Reaction score
As some of you have read Ive been asking about live food for my puffers. I have some live black worms and brine shrimp today. Here is the run down.

I put the worms in there and they tried to crawl into the gravel, but one of the puffers ate a few. 2 weren't paying attention and the guppies were getting in the way. They kinda liked the black worms.

Second, I netted about 15 brine shrimp and let them go in the tank and I can only say one thing, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
Ive never seen such a thing. They inhaled the whole shrimp and you could see their belly buldge with only one shirmp. Some would have a tail hanging out of thier mouth as they set up to suck in another one. They each ate about 3-4 brine and I honestly was scared they were going to pop. The guppies started eating the shrimp too, which pissed me off, but I'll have to work out something so the puffers are the only ones eating them. Guys, Im amazed at these fish, Im hooked.

:lol:

Well, you know, it's only fair that the guppies get a chance in food every now and then.

Puffers also seem to enjoy blood worms even more. My dwarf puffers had a hard time eating them because the were so long, but you could probably make them smaller...

I have some mysis for the guppies and flakes as well. I keep hearing you guys say bloodworms and I really need to try that. Do puffers react to the blood like sharks do? As in triggering thier sense that food is near?

From what I'be been told it's just hemoglobin and not necessarily blood. However, the scent deifinitely helps attract the fish, along with the deep red color. :D

Acclaimed said:
Second, I netted about 15 brine shrimp and let them go in the tank and I can only say one thing, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
Ive never seen such a thing. They inhaled the whole shrimp and you could see their belly buldge with only one shirmp. Some would have a tail hanging out of thier mouth as they set up to suck in another one. They each ate about 3-4 brine
How big were these brine shrimp or did you mean ghost shrimp? it takes about 15 brine for one of my puffers to get full with large belly but only one ghost shrimp and they look like there are going to pop!

My puffers are only 3/4 of an inch long, so it doesnt take much to fill them. So, brine is what I was speaking of.

Speaking of that, I think Im creating monsters. The puffers do thier chasing each other away thing and the guppies are doing it too.

Most reactions

Back