Puffers And Barbs, Oh My!

emraldstorm

Reaction score
No I'm not actually thinking of putting these two together. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen this before? I have 6 cherry barbs, (2m 4f as best I can tell anyway) and most of the time they don't swim, they just kind of hover about an inch off the bottom all facing east! They don't seem stressed or anything, I've just never seen this before.

But to my real question, my LFS just got in some spotted green puffers (SO CUTE!!!!!) I have a tank which is currently housing some fry which are almost ready to join their parents in the community tank, and I was wanting to get something else to go in that tank as I will not be rescuing fry any more (the circle of life and all that). I have heard that green puffers must be kept by themselves, how big of a tank will a lone puffer need?

I didn't see the spotted part in emyralds post just green puffers so I wasn't sure if that was the right link. Emyrald if you want some puffers try going for the freshwater variety... dwarf puffers are great little fish (though not in a community tank) and they only get 1" long. You can keep up to two in a ten gallon.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=90950

Or you can get a betta with a ADF or house 2 ADF correct me on the size requiremnt for ADFS

I didn't see the spotted part in emyralds post just green puffers so I wasn't sure if that was the right link. Emyrald if you want some puffers try going for the freshwater variety... dwarf puffers are great little fish (though not in a community tank) and they only get 1" long. You can keep up to two in a ten gallon.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=90950

I'm not really sure since the LFS is notorious for mislabeling fish (they label common plecs as 'Algae eaters' :no: The tag for the puffers, just said 'green puffer' but they were about 1" to 1 1/2", white belly, greenish on the back with dark brown or black spots. Don't know if they're dwarf or not!

www.pufferlist.com

Most reliable site for IDing puffers.

As you said it had a white tummy, I'm guessing Tetraodon nigriviridis, the Green spotted puffer which is brackish to start, needing marine as adult. 30g perfish.

Most reactions

Back