Puffer Show Offs Please Check This Out!

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Reaction score
All you Puffer keepers with pictures and info please check my post in Members Photos or follow this LINK

Why are you so interested in people giving you information every which way? I mean you have like 3 or 4 threads on this stuff... I suggest maybe a little bit of time to browse the web and collect some easy information of your own may benefit you greatly :good:...

You haven't told us the size of the tank, or what type of Puffer you want to keep...I own a Figure 8, and have owned a dwarf... but I have no pictures...

Okay so the tank is the one that just finished cycling on your sig, correct? It's only about 9 gallons so maybe a few Dwarf could fit into it...

Why are you so interested in people giving you information every which way? I mean you have like 3 or 4 threads on this stuff... I suggest maybe a little bit of time to browse the web and collect some easy information of your own may benefit you greatly :good:...

You haven't told us the size of the tank, or what type of Puffer you want to keep...I own a Figure 8, and have owned a dwarf... but I have no pictures...

Okay so the tank is the one that just finished cycling on your sig, correct? It's only about 9 gallons so maybe a few Dwarf could fit into it...
Ok so I was just giving people a reason to show of their puffers and gleen some info at the same time. :rolleyes:

Ah IF you read my other post I do state the tank litreage and model.

No it's not the little tank! 'Scuse me for saying but I don't think you have either read or just grasped the idea of that post.

Ok, so first thread I posted was about the little tank but was told no good. This latest post is a completely different direction. I am not sure why I am even explaining all this :unsure:

Is anyone else bemused by this answer to my other post by DiscusLover?

having a picture in the link you posted may help

i would suggest using a more secure picture hosting site because both of your posts contain a lot of text and no actual pictures

having a picture in the link you posted may help

i would suggest using a more secure picture hosting site because both of your posts contain a lot of text and no actual pictures

ok so I am giving up on this. Absalutely no answers to my posting but plenty of other advise. I am sure there is a good reason why you replied with the above advice but all I was just TRYING to do was start an interesting thread. No idea what you answer means. Please expand

i'll try and keep this real simple

you have posted a link to a topic, that is posted in the pictures forum, yet it doesnt contain a single picture

you have also posted in this forum telling people to check it out, yet all your doing is asking questions, your not actually giving any information at all or showing us any pictures

i think you need to be more specific with your topics and you may get a lot more people interested in your posts if you contribute more yourself

i'll try and keep this real simple

you have posted a link to a topic, that is posted in the pictures forum, yet it doesnt contain a single picture

you have also posted in this forum telling people to check it out, yet all your doing is asking questions, your not actually giving any information at all or showing us any pictures

i think you need to be more specific with your topics and you may get a lot more people interested in your posts if you contribute more yourself

So I post a thread in a members pictures forum giving them a opportunity to add their pictures and give me and others the benifit of their experience and advice. now I'd lke to bet that if i had placed a thread in CHAT Forum asking for pictures and advice, people out there would be saying that I would be getting better responses if I posted it in members pictures!

Lighten up people. This is a forum for a hobby and to be enjoyed. Nobody is going to get sued for not getting perfect :lol: Simple enough :hey:

Nobody is going to get sued for not getting perfect :lol: Simple enough :hey:

Funny you should say that. There will be a letter arriving on Monday morning! :lol:

Seriously though. If you are generally interested in keeping Puffers do plenty of research. Puffers are my thing, i've tried to keep a big variety over the past few years. You could get a nice Brackish setup in that tank. Also, you suggest possible keeping two figure of 8's in there. That would be fine. I would personally get them a slighty bigger tank if you want to keep two long-term. Do a little research and if you want some information on a certain species or setting up their tank just ask! I'm always happy to help with Puffers when I can!

Also, to join in the 'where-to-post' debate. I think you would have been better posting a question in here instead of the members photos. :good:

Nobody is going to get sued for not getting perfect :lol: Simple enough :hey:

Funny you should say that. There will be a letter arriving on Monday morning! :lol:

Seriously though. If you are generally interested in keeping Puffers do plenty of research. Puffers are my thing, i've tried to keep a big variety over the past few years. You could get a nice Brackish setup in that tank. Also, you suggest possible keeping two figure of 8's in there. That would be fine. I would personally get them a slighty bigger tank if you want to keep two long-term. Do a little research and if you want some information on a certain species or setting up their tank just ask! I'm always happy to help with Puffers when I can!

Also, to join in the 'where-to-post' debate. I think you would have been better posting a question in here instead of the members photos. :good:

Ok so, some info at last :good: Basically, as my post suggested, I really wanted to see other members pics of puffers and their set ups. I THOUGHT i'd done it in a FUN way but I see that humour has been surgically removed from the majority of the members of this forum :lol:

In a nutshell, I have a 155ltr community tank that I am bored with and saw a pair of F8's in a lfs and fell in :wub: with. I thought maybe they could go in my 34 ltr but was told no when I posted on here previously. Then I thought hey, maybe move on my community stock and they could go in there? Another tank is a non starter.
After todays experience on here, sod it. I'll get a book or google it. Shant bother asking people to share their views again. (present company accepted, of course!)

Look forward to that letter Monday, my brief will leave his calling card (expect a horses head on your pillow Tuesday morning) :lol:

How could you not like puffers, i wnana hear everybit of information i can

How could you not like puffers, i wnana hear everybit of information i can

errrrr. another confusing poster. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: WHO doesn't like Puffers????????

I'll help you out doresy, I fully understand all your post's and what your getting at. Unfortunatly I'm have trouble posting in the members photo area so I'll just do it here. I will try to stay away from the obvious and what has already been pinned in certain areas of this form, as far as general care goes. Instead I'll try to stick to more personal experiences. All photos will be posted below.
First off I bought both of my Green Spotted Puffers (Tetraodon nigroviridis) from walmart of all places, rescued is probably a better word for it (they were quite sickly when I got them). They were only 1" and 1.5" in size, one has always been a lot bigger in size than the other one, like the small one was the runt of the family or something (in the wild the small one would surely have died early on). So I brought them home at put them in a 10gl as it was the only size tank I had at the time that was empty. They stayed in that tank for approx. 6 months time, then were move to a 30gl tank. Now they are housed in a 52gl tank (I originaly thought it was 48gl, after some precise measurements and math found that to be wrong).
I have never had any aggresion problems, I could be just lucky. Here are some pointers I have learned through the 3.5 years I've owned them and how I care for mine.

1) If you want to keep more than one puffer in a tank, get them all at once and at a young age
2) 30% water change twice a week with gravel vac.
3) Every time I do a water change I change the decor around
4) I fluctuate the sg. levels during every other water change
5) I always stock the tank with 15-20 ghost shrimp every week
6) Everyday I take a very close examination of the Puffers and look for anything unusual in swimming habits, skin color, eye color, fins, teeth, and anus area.
7) Feed them snails often and treat with bloodworms
8 ) Lights on 1 hour after sunrise and off 1 hour before sunset all year timing with the seasons.
9) I fluctuate water temp. with the change of season as well
10) Here is how I increased the sg. level with age
very young (acclimation period after store bought) 1.000 - 1.002
young (1-3 months) 1.002 - 1.006
adolescent 1 (3-6 months) 1.006 - 1.010
adolescent 2 (6 months-1 year) 1.010 - 1.014
adolescent 3 (1-2 years) 1.014 - 1.018
adulthood (2 years+) 1.016 - full marine

Some may say this over board and a waist of time. I on the other hand believe in trying to imitate the wild as much as possible. I do not know the sexes of the Puffers but I am going to try and breed them anyway. To do this I will be removing all the current decor and replacing with live rock and bring the sg. up to full marine. I will leave it this way for about 2 years. After 2 years I will lower the sg. level back down rapidly to freshwater (1.000-1.002) in a 3 month period and replacing the live rock with true mangrove roots and other live plants from there natural habitat. By then I will have at least 4 more GSP's on hand to swap out during the experiment.
I would say if you want GSP's you could start them out in the prospect tank then you may have to move them to a larger tank within a couple years but GSP's are well worth it.
Wheeew, that was a lot :hyper: I hope this what your looking for. Here are pics.

DSCN2497.jpg

DSCN2506.jpg

DSCN2515.jpg

DSCN2499.jpg

If anybody has any Q's just ask.

Most reactions

Back