Puffer Food

nuttsaboutfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 south american puffers and have been feeding them bloodworm, I then found out that I should also be feeding them snails. My lfs sold me some cockels to feed them but as yet they have not touched them! Are the cockels to large for them? What other snails could I feed them?

i pickup free snails from my lfs. the small ones that infest the tank. i have a small plastic tank in the kitchen that i put them in, they have started breeding in there.

i also buy my puffers fresh shell on prawn from tesco, i keep them in the freezer and defrost one once a week for them. they dont get much of it, i just dangle it in the water til their bellys are full and take it back out.

i also feed them live bloodworm and daphnia. they wont eat the freezedried stuff but will eat the frozen.

my puffers also wont eat cockle, dont know why, just doesnt take their fancy. one of my puffers will take tropical pellets, but the other wont.

try breaking the cockle into smaller peices, my puffer won't touch anything he can't get in his mouth in one

if you can't get snails free from your lfs - try either buying some pouch snails (bog standard pond snails) and breeding them or go on the sale and swap pages and request some - i'm more than sure someone will be very happy to send you some!

try breaking the cockle into smaller peices, my puffer won't touch anything he can't get in his mouth in one

if you can't get snails free from your lfs - try either buying some pouch snails (bog standard pond snails) and breeding them or go on the sale and swap pages and request some - i'm more than sure someone will be very happy to send you some!
Thanx for your response will try your suggestions. Are the sale and swop pages on this forum?

i pickup free snails from my lfs. the small ones that infest the tank. i have a small plastic tank in the kitchen that i put them in, they have started breeding in there.

i also buy my puffers fresh shell on prawn from tesco, i keep them in the freezer and defrost one once a week for them. they dont get much of it, i just dangle it in the water til their bellys are full and take it back out.

i also feed them live bloodworm and daphnia. they wont eat the freezedried stuff but will eat the frozen.

my puffers also wont eat cockle, dont know why, just doesnt take their fancy. one of my puffers will take tropical pellets, but the other wont.
Thanx for your response ill try the lfs agaion and see if i can get any snails.

Most reactions

Back