Protein Skimmer?

C6ckneyGeezer

Reaction score
Im running at Fluval 405 canister filter on my Rio 180 tank which houses tropical community fish.I have live plants in the tank so I get some surface debris. As the fluval intake is half/near the bottom of the tank it wont take away floating debris. Is it a good idea to setup a protein skimmer?

All help appreciated. Cheers!

A protein skimmer are for marine tanks, not freshwater. They are used to remove proteins from the water not debris.

On some external filters there are little skimmer type things on the intakes. For example on the APS externals:

hwexpanded2_1.jpg

I used to have hair grass, and bits of it would float up to the surface. The skimmer on the intake used to catch most of anything that was floating about. Maybe double check that the Fluval 405 doesn't have something similar?

On some external filters there are little skimmer type things on the intakes. For example on the APS externals:

hwexpanded2_1.jpg

I used to have hair grass, and bits of it would float up to the surface. The skimmer on the intake used to catch most of anything that was floating about. Maybe double check that the Fluval 405 doesn't have something similar?
That isn't a protein skimmer, that's a surface skimmer, there's quite a big difference. Surface skimmers remove plant matter ETC of the surface of the water, whilst a protein skimmer "skims" protein from the water.
This is a protein skimmer
250px-Skimmer.jpg

A protein skimmer can be used in a freshwater tank, but there is little point in doing so :good:
What you (OP) want is a surface skimmer, not a protein skimmer

Ahhhh thanks guys this is exactly what I am after!

Gona try find a Fluval surface skimmer! :)

That's the one! Protein skimmer, honestly! Hahaha, silly old Flute XD

Most reactions

Back