Proper Way To Change Filter Media For An External Filter

dirtyfishtank

Reaction score
Do I just pull out the foam and put in brand new ones? Or should I squeeze the water from the old ones out into the canister and then replace with new foam? Or do you change the media only one pair at a time instead of all four? How do you do it? Please feel free to share your method.

PS I am running a fluval 204 canister filter.

I have a fluval 204 running on my 29gal. I only change out 2 of the foam pieces every 6 months or so. Around every two or three months when the water output slows, I take the cannister apart and rinse the foam pads in tank water, then scrub out the inside. When I change the pads, I rinse two of the old pads in the tank water, insert two new pads, and I also take the input and output tubes out of the tank and give them a good scrub. I use tap water for everything but rinsing the foam pads. Iv'e been doing this for over and year, and have never had an ammonia or nitrite spike, and my tank is pretty well stocked.

Do I just pull out the foam and put in brand new ones? Or should I squeeze the water from the old ones out into the canister and then replace with new foam? Or do you change the media only one pair at a time instead of all four? How do you do it? Please feel free to share your method.

PS I am running a fluval 204 canister filter.

Why are you changing the foam pad's are they falling apart?

People have these for years without changing them :nod:

In Fluval's x04 range the foam pads are mechanical filtration, so can be changed as often as you want. The trays of biomax is where you want the bacteria colony.

I myself just used to rinse the foam pads out under the tap to clear them out. Then my fluvals started leaking so I stopped using them and used Eheim.

The pads will have nitrifying bacteria, but they aren't really ideal for bacteria growth, so I don't think you need to worry abpit it having any effect once the tank is properly matured.

I have a spare set of pads for my Rena xp3, and monthly I extract the filter pads, and put in clean dry pads, then after I've put the filter back on the tank I come back and clean the ones I took out thoroughly before putting them away to swap in next time. This I do monthly, but you can probably do them much less often.

The pads will have nitrifying bacteria, but they aren't really ideal for bacteria growth, so I don't think you need to worry abpit it having any effect once the tank is properly matured.

I have a spare set of pads for my Rena xp3, and monthly I extract the filter pads, and put in clean dry pads, then after I've put the filter back on the tank I come back and clean the ones I took out thoroughly before putting them away to swap in next time. This I do monthly, but you can probably do them much less often.

Oh wow. I see. Thank you for the responces.

I am just curious because I want crystal clear water like I see in everyone's pictures in the forums.

Most reactions

Back