Project Tank

plecostomus-mad

Fish Addict
Reaction score
my trip to wales,uk was a success, came back with some rather nice slate,rocks and fine stone/pebbles from the beach.

IMG194.jpg

below is broken slate, i have about 20kg of this :)

IMG192.jpg

IMG191.jpg

IMG190.jpg

IMG189.jpg

IMG188.jpg

a sample of some slate, i have 40-50 kg :shifty:

IMG187.jpg

IMG186.jpg

IMG185.jpg

IMG184.jpg

IMG183.jpg

i have washed the slate and boiled it etc. i have also sieved the fine stone / pebbles to get the shell pieces and sand out of it.

this is how it looks at the moment.

IMG220.jpg

IMG219.jpg

i have had it filled with water for 3 days and i tested the ph and its 7.0. so i think its ok for my fish :) i need to test fr salt though i think. is there anyway to test for salt?

mark

Yes, you can test for salt. You need to buy the tester at your LFS.

Other than that everything looks great! have you ever thought about a sand substrate?

-FHM

hi fhm,

yep tried sand, my plecos made a right mess of it, looked like sand soup all the time.lol
my sig pic has sand :)that was after a water change.

i was going to do a fake rock background but it would be almost permanent. i got this far though.....

IMG195.jpg

and thought i better see what else i can do first :lol:

Did you use normal polystyrene insulation for that background or extruded polystyrene (styrofoam)?

Am considering these backgrounds for my plywood tanks (when they're finally made) but am having a right game finding a decently priced supplier of styrofoam - polystyrene would be much easier to source though!

Good find on the slate - I'm off to Wales in a few weeks and know my Aunt has big piles of welsh slate, so I might go rooting and see what I can come back with :D

The setup looks good - and the background was going really nicely too - shame you don't have two tanks to kit out because you could use both ideas then!

I'm not a particular fan of the gravel, but to each his own.

What kind of guitar is that?
the guitaris a Hertz Meister Gitarren,Made in Germany, i have another pretty much the same but a whole different species lol its also spanish so sound quility and build quality is superb ( cost a fortune ) i also have and electric guitar, (not elec acoustic)

do you play?

Did you use normal polystyrene insulation for that background or extruded polystyrene (styrofoam)?

Am considering these backgrounds for my plywood tanks (when they're finally made) but am having a right game finding a decently priced supplier of styrofoam - polystyrene would be much easier to source though!

Good find on the slate - I'm off to Wales in a few weeks and know my Aunt has big piles of welsh slate, so I might go rooting and see what I can come back with :D

The setup looks good - and the background was going really nicely too - shame you don't have two tanks to kit out because you could use both ideas then!
im using everyday standard poly. cheap in wickes if your in the uk.

the reason why im not continuing with that build for the moment is because i need to strip down my 4ft.all the fish are going into the 2ft for about 2 weeks while i clean and aqua scape the 4ft.after thats done i will carry on with the fake background, i will be doing a build thread :)

thats awesome, i took rocks from the Whiteshell provincial park, and i love them, free rocks are the best lol, i cant wait for the final picture

thats awesome, i took rocks from the Whiteshell provincial park, and i love them, free rocks are the best lol, i cant wait for the final picture
im glad you and others like it :) my 4ft will be something very special :D

i actually broke the law by taking things from the beach :fun: i admit i knew before i did it but i DID NOT steal a crabs hideout or any other living creatures home :good: same is said about the slate,again ILLEGAL :rolleyes: but me being a little :shifty: i thought it wont hurt to take a little.so beware people in the uk, its an offense. :rolleyes:

Nice and i live in wales, good find on those rocks, they come useful for fish tanks, i use alot of them.

Would like to see pics once you've loaded the tank up with water + stock!

Most reactions

Back