Problems With Our Canister Filter

Hello Bozrahct and Welcome to TFF!

WELL! It's always a bit more emotional thing for us when we see a newcomer who has done a Herculean amount of work and research (compared to most beginners) and yet has happened upon advice and circumstances that are nearly all completely wrong and difficult! I think your efforts have finally netted a big win in the opposite direction though as personally, I've found this site to be one of the great collections of considerate, experienced and fun hobbyists and you've now found your way to it. Excellent advice and caring so far by member Ashers!

Anything I say will just echo most of the advice already offered. Goldfish are really best as pond fish, but there -are- families that enjoy having some in a big tank and they can be quite beautiful, if a bit maintenance heavy. The stocking formula (in other words, how we arrive at a maximum recommended number of fish per tank size) that our goldfish hobbyists often recommend to us is different for normal goldfish (eg. comets, two-finned tail) versus fancy goldfish (eg. three-finned tail, special body features.) For the normal ones it's 30 US gallons for the first fish, then 10G for each additional one. For fancy ones it's 20 US gallons for the first, 10G for each additional. Your 65G would thus be about right for 5 or 6 fancy ones or 4 to 5 normal ones. With 6 in the 65G, you are probably fully or somewhat overstocked, a challanging normal situation and a much more difficult situation for cycling (fish-in cycling is normally performed with quite small stocking, less than 1/4 the full-stocking capacity of the tank. The reason being that beyond that it is extremely difficult to maintain the poisons at a safe level for the fish during the cycling period.)

Again the advice is already excellent and I second the comments: the tropical fish need to be out of the coldwater fish tank as a first step, a good liquid-reagent based test kit needs to be obtained and the tap water parameters and -all- the fish tanks need to have their stats (ammonia, nitrite(NO2), pH, nitrate(NO3)) posted for the members to see (my thinking here is that when the tropicals are moved around, the tanks they arrive in need to be verified as handling them ok.) Meanwhile, massive water changing (with good technique - which means conditioning and rough temperature matching) needs to begin for the goldfish until testing can be your friend and save you from changing more than you really need to.

Also quite importantly, as the parent, you are now faced with some tricky questions. If you have comets (normals) you probably need to re-home at least one to a shop, other hobbyist or give-away on craig's list or such. This is at the very least (two would be better, obviously, as it will ultimately make your maintenance more stable.) But even more thoughtfully, you should ask yourself the question of whether ultimately your family would get more out of a beautiful tropical community tank in the 65G with plantings and colorful shoals of different fish (as opposed to just the beauty of the goldies, who will eat most plants and create waste in massive amounts.) I am not trying to steer you, just inform you. Both can be a nice experience when done correctly. Sometimes, with children, it can work better to make a massive change of direction all at once (re-homing -all- the goldies) and explaining how they will be happier and healthier in a bigger home, meanwhile engaging the family in the giant science experiment of finally learning the -real- story about the Nitrogen Cycle, the (quite interesting) autotrophic bacteria in the media and the many species of tropicals that are quite beautiful and extremely varied. Each family has different dynamics.

Be aware that most hobbyists with large tanks like yours will use a system of hoses to perform the water changes, rather than buckets (or in addition to a different use of buckets I should say.) Outgoing water is always siphoned with a gravel-cleaning cylinder being used to disturb the substrate, but can be drained via a really long hose to the garden or a drain such as a bathtub or basement floor drain. With some equipment, the same hose can then be used to directly refill the tank from a faucet, the chlorine/chloramine-removing conditioner being added at a dose level appropriate for the entire tank volume. This is a big deal if you attempt to fish-in cycle a large tank with an oversized cycle stocking.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

I have to admit this was not how I envisioned the tank. I had no idea goldfish got this big! Personaly would much rather have the tropical fish. I have talked to my kids about the possibility of bringing the fish in the summer to their fathers, wifes, parents house (thats a mouth full) beucase they have a koi pond. Can anyone share some basic guidelins about ponds? I had read some place the water has to reach 3 plus feet in order for the fish to be able to survive the winter. But as far as the goldfish go we live in CT would they need to be brought indoors in the winter time? We have a vacume with 25ft of tube that ties right to the sink. So water changes are not that bad. After the tank has cycled how often should i do water changes and how much of the water should be taken out? These things are poo factories and really dont want to have to do twice daily water changes from now until the fish die. I DO have little miss and her younger brother help. I was told that these are fancy goldies the girl we got them from had 8 and we took the 6 smaller ones. AND YES they are eatting our plants our poor poor plants, they are pig fish! But aside from all the downs the kids are suctioned to the side of the tank. They each have favorites and I have to say they are quite amusing.

Water changing during fish-in cycling and after the cycling is complete are totally different things: after the filter is successfully cycled, it is good to establish a weekly gravel-clean-water-change habit (which most people do as part of their weekend.) The size of that water change is actually best determined by watching log entries in your aquarium notebook and noting whether the trend of the nitrate(NO3) level is holding steady or is tending to rise. Most end up with someting in the 20 to 50% range for the weekly water change.

-During- fish-in cycling, you have to be a bit of a detective and try to figure out by trial and error what frequency and percentage of water changes will keep both your ammonia and nitrite(NO2) levels -at or below- 0.25ppm until you can be home again (from work/school whatever) to change water again. When a fish-in cycle is done with a small fraction of the tank's stocking capacity, the water changes can be small and not too frequent. When a tank is overstocked, it can be impossible. Your goldfish are still somewhat small perhaps and may not represent a full stocking, nonetheless they are no doubt a larger than optimal fish-in cycle stocking. But you never know until you've got the good test kit and start actually performing the tests and logging the results in your notebook (log everything that you do to the tank there with dates and times.)

Typical log lines are Date,Time,(which tank),Temperature,NH3,NO2,pH,NO3,water observations.

~~waterdrop~~

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-test-kits/11442-107520/aquarium-pharmaceuticals-freshwater-master-test-kit.html
Is this the type of kit that I am looking for?

Most reactions

Back