Problems getting convicts

domino1804

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there :)
As many of you will know from my many posts that im trying to get hold of some convicts :D
My choice is one male convict or 2 females.If i get 2 females il get one normal and one marbles hoping they will get along.Bearing in mind if they dont one will have to be re-home as at the moment dont have space for another tank :sad:
If I get a male I will get a marbled one as I like these alot :D

Now the company im getting them from have both male and female marbled convicts about 2inch(I want them as small as possible so they will get to know me) but only one female stripy one about 6-7cm which is too big to put another with as i want them to grow up together)

My question is ...do I wait 2-3week for them to get more normal females in and hope and pray they get along or get one gorgeous male?(lv the head bumps) (dont ask me why... who knows?):unsure:

I dont know what to do :crazy: .I really cant bear the though of running the risk of getting 2 females and them not getting on.Although when mam has done the decorating shes letting me get a 4 foot tank for our living room in which i can put two females at a later date along with other fish (notice how im arguing with myself?:S)

Anyway I have valid arguements for both but cant make up my mind

Any suggestion?
Thanks for reading and so sorry about the long post

I'd wait in the hopes of getting two small females...But with any convicts you run the very likely risk that there will be problems. Also keep in mind that the younger the fish the harder to determine sex. Males and females look alike when they are under 1-1.5" mark and can be hard to seperate so you run the risk of getting a male and female. (keeps fingers crossed). Just make sure that you ifs is willing to take back any that you get. I know i usually recommend the female of the species but the males have their good sides aswell...They dont have the famous orange/red belly but they are georgous fish still...They get larger and mine seems to have a powerful personality about him,aswell as his cool silver black color. Hope i helped a little.
ÐR

The problem I have is that iv contacted a few of my LFS but they cant/wont get convicts in for me.Im having to buy them from another company on line and get them delivered, so I know my LFS wont take any back as they dont have space to keep them and there no demand round here for them type of fish.

The company im getting them from have fish at 2inch.I was thinking I could get a male and keep him in the tank in my room and when I get a bigger tank look at getting one/two females at that time,as it will give them more space and they might get on better.

Also my plan was to get just one male to start off with.As you say urs has a strong personality and thats what I want with my fish.Dont want to sound daft but I want a bond with my fish not just something I feed every day

Thanks alot

I would go with a single specimen until you can be sure...Without the option of being able to return it then i wouldnt risk it. Both my female and male have their own characters...But my male is far more aggressive and not scared to nip my hand if i get too close ;)

DR

Thats what I was thinking and like Iv already mentions I really like to head bump the males develop and I can get a female in my new big tank when I get it

Thanks alot

Most reactions

Back