Problem With Eheim Classic 2215

johnatkin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had my Eheim Classic 2215 External filter for a about 2 years and have never had any problem with it up until last night. I had cleaned it out and when I put it back together and set it all back up as usual I noticed it took much longer to prime than usual (I mean it took the water much longer to reach the top of the cannister than usual) when I switched the filter on the flow rate is only about half of what it usually is after being cleaned. I have changed the impeller as I had a spare and this has made no difference. Also the fuse has blown twice in the plug, I have had to switch it to a 13amp temporarily (I know this is not a good idea) just to keep it running so the fish don't die but I will switch it back to a 5amp once I sort out the problem. It is running now but only very slowly, could it be the motor? Any ideas what may be causing this?

I have had my Eheim Classic 2215 External filter for a about 2 years and have never had any problem with it up until last night. I had cleaned it out and when I put it back together and set it all back up as usual I noticed it took much longer to prime than usual (I mean it took the water much longer to reach the top of the cannister than usual) when I switched the filter on the flow rate is only about half of what it usually is after being cleaned. I have changed the impeller as I had a spare and this has made no difference. Also the fuse has blown twice in the plug, I have had to switch it to a 13amp temporarily (I know this is not a good idea) just to keep it running so the fish don't die but I will switch it back to a 5amp once I sort out the problem. It is running now but only very slowly, could it be the motor? Any ideas what may be causing this?
If it took a long time to fill then it suggests that there's a blockage in a pipe somewhere. I spent ages trying to work out why my 2213 was on a go slow until I spotted the kink in the inlet pipe! :crazy:

I would encourage you to go after the only two things it sounds like it could be, a blockage or a failing pump head. Take it all apart watching carefully for a kink or blockage. You could even use a little bendable wire to "feel" around a curve if you need to. Seems a reasonable chance Egmel is right and its a blockage.

If its not that and it keeps up, you may have to look into a replacement pump head either from the eheim parts site or I thing there was another site posted that had lower prices on those parts.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for your replies. I have checked the piping and can't find any kinks so I think it is either a blockage in one of the pipes or the pump head which may explain why the 5amp fuse keeps blowing or can blockages cause fuses to blow? I'm running it with a 13amp fuse in it at the moment :crazy:

The only thing is about buying a new pump head is that they are £42.00 from the online shop I use and to replace the whole filter would cost £65.00. Surely it makes more sense to buy the whole filter if you can afford it and keep the old one for spares? It is still running at the moment (not any noisier or quieter than usual) but not as fast as it usually does with unclogged media so does this mean that the pump head is probably ok?

Thanks for your replies. I have checked the piping and can't find any kinks so I think it is either a blockage in one of the pipes or the pump head which may explain why the 5amp fuse keeps blowing or can blockages cause fuses to blow? I'm running it with a 13amp fuse in it at the moment :crazy:

The only thing is about buying a new pump head is that they are £42.00 from the online shop I use and to replace the whole filter would cost £65.00. Surely it makes more sense to buy the whole filter if you can afford it and keep the old one for spares? It is still running at the moment (not any noisier or quieter than usual) but not as fast as it usually does with unclogged media so does this mean that the pump head is probably ok?

Or, you could use the 'dead' filter as a dummy canisiter and pack it with more media. I ran a 2213 like this for years. The tand feeds into the top of the dummy, out the bottom and into the bottom of the working filter. It effectively doubles the media of the filter. As for your problem, I'm with the others. I think it's a clog in one of your tubes, even could be spraybar or hard intake tube. It could be either inlet or outlet. Can't imagine why fuses are blowing though.... Good luck!

Most reactions

Back