Pretty Excited!

Jen_S

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was feeding the fish today and noticed that my pair of rams had dug out an impression in the back of the tank behind the plants. I have been a little busy the last couple of days but I have about 100 baby Bolivian rams in my community tank!! This is the first batch that the parents have had and they are doing a good job so far of protecting them from the other fish in the tank so we'll see what happens as I don't have another tank to put them in at this point. If just a few make I will be happy. The tank is VERY heavily planted right now so I think they have a decent chance, especially as the bay guppies I put in about a week ago to feed to the other fish in there appear to have all made it.
Just thought I'd share I will try to get pics later but as I said, they are behind the plants so it will be difficult to focus and they are very tiny.

Congrats ! My Bolivian rams think they are neon tetras and school together at the front of my tank looking for food. They sure are fun fish to watch anyways though! What are your water parameters and stuff ?

Temp is 82 degrees F
ammonia 0-.25
pH runs about 6.6-6.8 (I filter with peat moss)
nitrites and nitrates are both in safe ranges
Low alkilitnity but fairly hard

It's been a few weeks since I've tested as this is my oldest tank and I have had no problems in this one. I change the water usually weekly but the last couple of changes have been a couple of weeks apart. I'm actually glad I saw them because I was going to do a water change but with the tiny babies, I'm going to hold off. I'm really bad about leaving the light on in the tank too overnight. I was at my parents on Sat. for family stuff but it's actually been a few days since I have really sat down and studied the tank up close. The tank is fairly well stocked with other fish but there are no troubles at this point. The angel are keeping their distance but the flying fox (3) are annoying and the cories can't take a hint. All in all though all is well. No one has any fin damage.
I think I have been pretty dense though about the fish because the fry seem to bee coming out of the depression in the gravel and will swim as much as 6 inches above it. I wonder how old these guys are LOL. Like I said though the tank is very heavily planted.

Most reactions

Back