Preserve bacteria when replacing filter.

TwoKlobbs

Reaction score
Okay so I’m in the middle of treating my tank for ick. I’m running into a problem and I’ve asked many people in stores and in forums and I can’t seem to get an accurate answer.

I have the silent stream sf10 filter with the cartridges and during the ick treatment, it said I need to remove the cartridge for the entire treatment. (4 days and maybe more).
I’m currently letting the cartridge sit in a container with old tank water. Does this preserve the bacteria?

Im going to buy a sponge and new components to improve this filter since I don’t want to use more cartridges. How do I get the new media to retain the bacteria.

Please remember that I have the OLD cartridge with the bacteria sitting with old tank water. I have no idea if this preserves the bacteria so it might not be as easy as putting it in the with new media since I don’t know if the bacteria is even viable now. How could I do this without going through a new cycle. Also remember I’m treating the tank with medication and I will change the water in less then 2 days. Thanks so much for the help in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 21
What are you treating your tank with? The preferred method is heat and therefore the filter will be unaffected.
API ick cure. I did in fact raise the heat but just a little above 80. I was told by the fish store to do both. Can’t say I trust them much anymore since I’ve ran into this headache.

Okay so I’m in the middle of treating my tank for ick. I’m running into a problem and I’ve asked many people in stores and in forums and I can’t seem to get an accurate answer.
Some of them will be accurate...the problem for you will be working out which.
I have the silent stream sf10 filter with the cartridges and during the ick treatment, it said I need to remove the cartridge for the entire treatment. (4 days and maybe more).
I’m currently letting the cartridge sit in a container with old tank water. Does this preserve the bacteria?
Yes. As long as your bacteria is kept moist, it'll survive. At worst, it'll go dormant and re-awake once it's back in its warm tank.
Im going to buy a sponge and new components to improve this filter since I don’t want to use more cartridges. How do I get the new media to retain the bacteria.

Please remember that I have the OLD cartridge with the bacteria sitting with old tank water. I have no idea if this preserves the bacteria so it might not be as easy as putting it in the with new media since I don’t know if the bacteria is even viable now. How could I do this without going through a new cycle. Also remember I’m treating the tank with medication and I will change the water in less then 2 days. Thanks so much for the help in advance!
One quick method would be to place any new media in with the old.
(Do you really need/want to replace all of the old media?)
There IS a remote possibility that your old media will have some dormant ich in it. However, this would be easy to treat, without meds, especially as you don't have fish to worry about...
Subject your media to 86-88℉ for a week and that should kill any remaining ich.

You don't have to remove the filter media/ materials unless you have carbon in the filter. Carbon is a black granulated substance used to remove chemicals from the water. If you leave the carbon in the filter, it will remove the medication and the fish won't be treated. The remaining filter media should be left in the filter.

You don't have to remove the filter media/ materials unless you have carbon in the filter. Carbon is a black granulated substance used to remove chemicals from the water. If you leave the carbon in the filter, it will remove the medication and the fish won't be treated. The remaining filter media should be left in the filter.
Unfortunately, the media has already been removed, as per medication instructions.
(I wonder why the instructions say that?)

Most reactions

Back