Preparing For Winter

Taridan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is just a little log of what I'm doing to get ready for winter, since a lot of my smaller Betta tanks don't have heaters, having not needed them during the summer. At night, the water is starting to drop down to 72, so I'm hoping to have this stuff done before next week.

thursday: Came home from hospital, cleaned all my tanks and checked for signs of infection Fiancee did a decent job, except for not topping off the tanks, they were all about 3/4ths to 2/3rds full due to water evaporation. :S

Supplies owned: Sealant, 10 gallon, 5.5 gallon.

Sunday: Moved James from the 5.5 to a temporary 3 gallon, emptied and dried out the 5.5

Monday (16th): Went to local office supply store and bought bunches of the binder holders
went to Dollar store and bought rubbing alchoho, 2 wash clothes

Tuesday (17th): Went to arts and craft store and bought 6 sheets of the plastic mesh, went to fish store and bought black sand and more water conditioner. (you can never have enough. :D ) Was going to go to the local thrift store to find a end table / stand for the 10 gallon, but they were closed.

Wednesday (18th): Went to thrift store and found a table/stand for the 10 gallon for $12 need to go back and buy it.

What do you mean by "topping off the tanks"?

The water in my tank evaporates pretty quickly...any ways to avoid it?

I mean the whole 2 weeks I was in the hospital my fiancee did not add any water to any of my tanks. He fed my fish, and that was about it. :rolleyes: As far as helping to slow the evaporation process, asides from having a tank lid, the other thing I've heard of people doing is putting Syran/plastic wrap across half or 3/4ths of the top of the tank, and just leaving room for adding food and stuff.

Thursday (19th): Bought a 25 watt heater for the 5.5 and a 50 watt for the 10, and black sand to replace my gravel.

Friday (20th): Siliconed Dividers into the 5.5

Most reactions

Back