Prep for divided betta tank

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I’m slowly taking my time but surely in the process of setting up a 20 gallon long divided betta tank. I’m sorting out all of the other bettas first and making sure they’re set before I get the new one even filled with water lol. I bought the premium divider package from LifewithPets. In the 20 gallon, there are two dividers with three sponge filters, so three bettas will go in there. I’m using sand as the substrate and the tank will be planted. I’m just trying to think ahead of any preventative measures I can take considering the only place I can get bettas from are the local chain stores which seem to often have fin rot or something (however, of the three I have, only one had fin rot when I got him). Would it be wise to, once the tank is cycled and I’m ready to put fish in (yes, I know it will be a while), do an aquarium salt treatment on them or is there some kind of preventative additive I can use? Or any other advice anyone has?
and yes I do have a separate empty hospital tanl.

eSHa 2000 says it can be used as a preventative treatment for when you first get fish, and has worked pretty well for me with fin rot. Just an idea though, I don’t know that much about medications.

Make sure to get a divider that is not see through nor have holes in it - these types of dividers can stress both bettas out, as they can see/sense the other.

Medication should only be used to treat a known condition. However, Colin_T has said many times that a lot of fish bred in the far east have worms, both flat and round worms, and he advocates using worming medications in quarantine.
The best approach is to quarantine all fish and with the possible exception of worm meds, only medicate if the fish show symptoms.

@SABWARNER16 If you intend buying the bettas one at a time, the first one can go straight in the divided tank but the second and third should be quarantined. But if you buy all three at the same time, put them all straight in the divided tank and only add a medication if they show symptoms of a disease.

Make sure to get a divider that is not see through nor have holes in it - these types of dividers can stress both bettas out, as they can see/sense the other.
These are black dividers with no holes and they will all be males.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 51
Medication should only be used to treat a known condition. However, Colin_T has said many times that a lot of fish bred in the far east have worms, both flat and round worms, and he advocates using worming medications in quarantine.
The best approach is to quarantine all fish and with the possible exception of worm meds, only medicate if the fish show symptoms.

@SABWARNER16 If you intend buying the bettas one at a time, the first one can go straight in the divided tank but the second and third should be quarantined. But if you buy all three at the same time, put them all straight in the divided tank and only add a medication if they show symptoms of a disease.
Thank you for in advice and information :)

Most reactions

Back