pregnant platy but how long?

yeah I read that one could go with guppies and swordtails with no problem. I wasnt thinking of putting it in the tank that I was talking about earlier

bball4life said:
I have 6 platys, 1 guppy, and 1 corydoras catfish
These shouldn't be too much of a problem, the platys may eat some of the fry but the fry are very quick and most should escape them. Many platys and guppies will see a baby fish go to eat it and then realise that it is another fish so leave it alone, (many of mine do anyway). Do try to catch as many as you can though to put into your net. :thumbs:

This morning I went and checked on her and she is looking a little bit wider than usually. But from the time the female first spawns with the male how long would it usually take for her to have the fry?

About a month, give or take a week or so. This also depends on age, and the size of the female, and also how many fry. But basically a month is a safe bet. :)

ok thank you and I have just one more question, even though this is her first time being pregnant can she still store the sperm to have 5 more batches without spawning again?

bball4life said:
ok great I just have a quick question for you since you are on. Its not about the platies, its about black ghost knifefish, I wanted to know if they would be kept with cories? I heard that they could but I wanted to check.
Ghost knifefish= not a good idea.

They grow to about 19inchs long and are nocturnal predatory fish meaning that not only are you not going to see it out and about during the day time, it will also eat your livebearers as tasty snacks; they also need at least a 45gallon tank, heres a link with more info on them;

http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Apteronotus_albifrons.html

yep I decided not to get one. Oh yeah and I woke up this morning and saw that my pregnant platy is very square if you look at her from an angle. I heard that this means that they will give birth soon, is that true?

Usually it's a sign she will be giving birth soon. Also, watch and see if she starts acting moody, or chasing fish away, or hiding in the plants, or hoovering in one spot, or slightly heavier breathing.....or all of them. :p Those are usually signs she'll be giving birth soon. Usually it's at night though...so you may wake up some morning soon, and have babies. :D

I have also been recently informed she may look slightly thinner right before she gives birth...so you can look for that, also.

ok I will look for all of that during the day. Maybe I will get lucky and she will have them during the daytime, I have only had one livebearer have them during the daytime and luckily I walked right past the tank I saw her.

Most reactions

Back