Pregnant patty?

Littledreamer89

Reaction score
She looks to be pregnant to me. Wondering if anyone knows how close she is to having her babies so I can put her in a birthing tank. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220224_185432.jpg
    20220224_185432.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220224_184157.jpg
    20220224_184157.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220224_184142.jpg
    20220224_184142.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 47
PLATY XD

She looks to be pregnant to me. Wondering if anyone knows how close she is to having her babies so I can put her in a birthing tank. Thank you!
she's sorta close. to put her into a birthing tank, don't use a scooper that will make her touch air. get like a watertight container so she does not flop around in air and get stressed, they will sometimes abort

PLATY XD

she's sorta close. to put her into a birthing tank, don't use a scooper that will make her touch air. get like a watertight container so she does not flop around in air and get stressed, they will sometimes abort
Ok thank you. I am debating letting her give birth in the community tank so she doesn't get stressed. I'm just hopeful there are enough hiding spots for the fry 🙂

PLATY XD

It isn't so much the air, it's that they can get caught on and damaged by a net too. So if they must be moved, gently encouraging them into a jug/cup/other container of some kind to move them is safer. But the stress of being caught and moved into a new place can also be enough to induce abortion or reabsorbtion, so best to move them early or not at all if possible.

If you have a large enough birthing tank, move them to it early in their gravid period, make sure it's homely with plants and decor so they don't feel overly exposed and stressed, and let them birth there, then remove the adult back to the main tank to recover. Bear in mind that birth is a hard process on a female of any species, so it may take a few days to recover, and that it's not entirely unusual to lose a female after birth. More so with guppies than platies though, since platies are a bit less over-bred and more robust.

It isn't so much the air, it's that they can get caught on and damaged by a net too. So if they must be moved, gently encouraging them into a jug/cup/other container of some kind to move them is safer. But the stress of being caught and moved into a new place can also be enough to induce abortion or reabsorbtion, so best to move them early or not at all if possible.

If you have a large enough birthing tank, move them to it early in their gravid period, make sure it's homely with plants and decor so they don't feel overly exposed and stressed, and let them birth there, then remove the adult back to the main tank to recover. Bear in mind that birth is a hard process on a female of any species, so it may take a few days to recover, and that it's not entirely unusual to lose a female after birth. More so with guppies than platies though, since platies are a bit less over-bred and more robust.
Sry im bad at describing

Do you think she is early enough in her gravid period to move her or should I leave her be?

Most reactions

Back