Pregnant Or Normal Guppy

With guppies you have to always assume they are pregnant. From the pictures I would say she is but they aren't very clear. Could you try taking a better one?

P.S. Also if we have a better one when can give you a rough estimate of when she will give birth:)

I'll try whenever I try to get a pic of her she always moves then my camera gets blurry and not focused. Hopefully she is I ordered a 15 gallon for when it's time for the fry to come

https://vid.me/Qwqz

I got video might be better don't mind filter in background juse need to add water to tank

Dzm said:
https://vid.me/Qwqz

I got video might be better don't mind filter in background juse need to add water to tank
Ok from the video I would say she is almost there. It could be a matter of days or a week until she gives birth so keep checking up on her every day and look around the tank for babies hiding in the gravel or under decorations. Also the whole 15 gallon tank is not going to work. you will not be able to have it cycled in time for the babies. My suggestion is to just sit this one out:( I know it sounds sad but dont worry your guppy will give birth again in 28-30 days from when she has this patch:)

If you do decide to sit this one out, there is a chance 1-5 fry might survive! the strongest fry will be able to hide and out swim the other fish so they will live! also for the future I would not save every batch of fry maybe every other one or even every 2 batches. It's fun to see the fry grow up:) do you have any plans for the extras?

I plan to surrender the other to my lfs which is petco they are running low on guppies. I'll keep extra males and females. I got the tank today, the flourite and sand come Wednesday. And I can get plants Friday.

Dzm said:
I plan to surrender the other to my lfs which is petco they are running low on guppies. I'll keep extra males and females. I got the tank today, the flourite and sand come Wednesday. And I can get plants Friday.
Have you talked to petco about taking them? Chain fish stores usually don't take fish from local breeders, also it will take 3-5 months for the fry to be full grown. and like I said earlier you will not be able to have the tank cycled in time.

Although you are short on time to cycle a tank properly I wouldn't say its impossible... If you really want to try if I were you I would take a large amount of your current tank water and put it in your new one with some fresh water as well...the amounts really depend on how big your current tank is... if you have a 20-30 gallon you can probably get away with taking 50 percent of the water for your 15 gallon. Then if necessary add a bit of fresh water treated for chlorine removal.

I know some wouldn't advise this but honestly guppies are un believably hardy.. they are so strong even as babies they can survive a move like that. I do believe your older guppies will handle the higher percent of fresh water better then brand new babies though.

Ive done huge water changes like this and had no deaths I wouldn't tell you to consider it if I wasn't confident it will be successful.

If you are weary maybe you would rather add marbles..if you lay them on your tank gravel it provides hiding for the fry and you could just raise them with their parents. Or just lots of plants works.

I used to go all out in saving them but honestly you will be amazed at how many self survive and to see how small they are when they start freely swimming with the adults (of course they keep some distance and dart away when needed) I was truly surprised at how small the fry are n yet they don't get eaten.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back