Pregnant Molly?

Mackenzilynn

Reaction score
I picked up a molly at the pet store two weeks ago. When I got her I was told she was probably pregnant, becasue of her size.

I waited a week and then placed her in a breeder net - this was a week ago. Now she is not really moving at the bottom of her net. I'm not sure whether I've just stressed her out too much or she is about to give birth. Here is a picture of her a week ago :

34o7w95.jpg

I know she has probably been in there too long, but i have a very powerful filter that I'm sure the fry wouldn't stand a chance against. I've put a mesh cover on it so it wouldn't suck them up - but I'm almost positive they couldn't swim against the current.

What are the chances her lack of movement means pregnancy is soon to follow? Should I keep her in there or let her out? Any advice would be great.

I would let her out.

Even of some fry don't make it, mollies are very prolific breeders and she'll have more.

Is your tank cycled, and are you testing the water and making regular water changes?

Yes and yes - the fish have been very energetic and healthy looking for three weeks now. Just today she became still. I'm just really worried about the fry against the filter, I'm pretty sure one of the guppies gave birth last week because i saw some little ones glued to the mesh that covers the filter.

I took her out and she seems to be back to her active self - her mate is pretty excited! He's rubbing up against her and swimming around her in circles!

Any ideas on when/if I should put her back in there?

Does anyone have an experience with molly fry and powerful filters?

Most reactions

Back