FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MrsEspoNYC7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
first question is my guppy preganant?View attachment 70409

if she is, is my tank ok for the fry with some anarchis and hornwort to hide in

thanks in advance for any help

She looks like she is.  Most female guppies are about constantly if there's a male in the tank. :p  i'd say she has 2-3 weeks to go.  It's hard to tell though. If this is her first time she may not get very big and have only a few fry.  

Live plants like that are great for fry.  :) The question is, do you have enough hiding places and how many other fish are in the tank. Lots of fish (along with guppies themselves) like to eat little guppy fry, so you have to have lots of plants.  

Fry get eaten quickly in community tanks, although some people have some luck with that and get a few survivors.  If you want to raise the fry I'd recommend you fish them out once she has them and move them to their own tank.  That or move the female into the fry tank and take her out once she has them.  

Hope this helps! 

Thanks for your reply. I have quite a few plants real and fake and lots of caves and stuff. I have a 5.5 gallon tank in my closet but its not cycled and I'm concerned that I don't have enough time before the fry come to set it up and make sure it's properly cycled. Any advice on setting up a fry tank fast?

you can use filter media from your current tank and use it in the 5.5 filter and in theory it could be done in a day

Most reactions

Back