Pregnant Goldfish !

Goldfish III

Reaction score
Can anyone help ? I think my Gold fish is Pregnant ! what are the signs I should be looking for ?? How long long does this last ? & what should I do to assist the situation . She has been in the tank with 3 other Goldfish for about 3 years now . Several months back she was getting chased all over the tank with the 3 males but I just thought they were playing !!! Please help ! . Any info that you need please dont hesitate to email me ....... Thankyou very much.

How long/large is she and what type of goldfish is she? Can you get any pics? Goldfish are egg layers, so technically she is egg laden and not pregnant ;) . A lot of the time its easy to assume a fish is full of eggs because it looks very fat, but being large looking doesn't always mean this is so and can actually be a symptom of some sort of desease or disorder, so you need to be careful. What things have led you to believe she could be carrying eggs whether behavioral or physical things?
When it comes down to it though, if the fish isn't mature enough and the tank doesn't have the right sort of habitat, any breeding between the fish is unlikely to be successful.

How long/large is she and what type of goldfish is she? Can you get any pics? Goldfish are egg layers, so technically she is egg laden and not pregnant ;) . A lot of the time its easy to assume a fish is full of eggs because it looks very fat, but being large looking doesn't always mean this is so and can actually be a symptom of some sort of desease or disorder, so you need to be careful. What things have led you to believe she could be carrying eggs whether behavioral or physical things?
When it comes down to it though, if the fish isn't mature enough and the tank doesn't have the right sort of habitat, any breeding between the fish is unlikely to be successful.
I think she is maybe a comet but i cant be sure the other 3 fish in the tank are perfectly healthy and there all male thats how I came up with the pregnant theory as it cant be pollution or swim bladder problems as she dosent come to the top of the water except to feed ! I,ve checked all the usual diease problems and everything seems to be fine . If you move her on she responds rite away so I dont think its any kind of illness ( I hope not !! ) your help on this subject is paramount to me at this stage thankyou so much for responding and I look forward to hearing from you again in the very near future . ps I will try to get you a photo soon

I think she is maybe a comet but i cant be sure the other 3 fish in the tank are perfectly healthy and there all male thats how I came up with the pregnant theory as it cant be pollution or swim bladder problems as she dosent come to the top of the water except to feed ! I,ve checked all the usual diease problems and everything seems to be fine . If you move her on she responds rite away so I dont think its any kind of illness ( I hope not !! ) your help on this subject is paramount to me at this stage thankyou so much for responding and I look forward to hearing from you again in the very near future . ps I will try to get you a photo soon

Glad to help :) , so she just kinda looks fat then? Comets breeding in aquarium is pretty rare so its probably something else (i think they also need to be at least 4 years old to be maure enough to breed), what do you feed her and how much on average?

Glad to help :) , so she just kinda looks fat then? Comets breeding in aquarium is pretty rare so its probably something else (i think they also need to be at least 4 years old to be maure enough to breed), what do you feed her and how much on average?
The site says I cant upload photos of the fish as it says the file is larger than the available space is ther a way round this as Im desperate to get you the photos you need . let me know asap I will sign on again tommorrow after work thankyou bye bye

Once you have the pics on your computer, just change their size by using programs like Lexmark Photo Editor or Paint to resize them before saving them and loading them up onto photobucket :good: .

With the pregnant look thing, some reasons for it could be;
a. She is a mature or nearly mature female and thus naturally rounder than the slimer looking males. Even if not breeding, females will always look rounder/fatter than the males particularly as they reach maturity. On goldfish which are no where near sexual maturity yeat, its very difficult to physically tell apart their genders, so when the fish do change it can take the owner by suprise if the owner has had the fish for a long time.
b. The fish is fat/bloated looking due to something like an internal bacterial infection or something like constipation or even internal worms or build up of fluids etc etc.
c. The fish has dropsy, making the scales stick out like a pine cone giving the fish a fat appearance. Depending on the size of the scales, sometimes the pinecone effect looks very obvious, but on fish with smaller scales its not so obvious at first. Sometimes just particular area's are effected, other times all the scales on the fish stick out.

Pics would be very helpful to find out exactly which posibility your fish has and why :nod: .

Once you have the pics on your computer, just change their size by using programs like Lexmark Photo Editor or Paint to resize them before saving them and loading them up onto photobucket :good: .

With the pregnant look thing, some reasons for it could be;
a. She is a mature or nearly mature female and thus naturally rounder than the slimer looking males. Even if not breeding, females will always look rounder/fatter than the males particularly as they reach maturity. On goldfish which are no where near sexual maturity yeat, its very difficult to physically tell apart their genders, so when the fish do change it can take the owner by suprise if the owner has had the fish for a long time.
b. The fish is fat/bloated looking due to something like an internal bacterial infection or something like constipation or even internal worms or build up of fluids etc etc.
c. The fish has dropsy, making the scales stick out like a pine cone giving the fish a fat appearance. Depending on the size of the scales, sometimes the pinecone effect looks very obvious, but on fish with smaller scales its not so obvious at first. Sometimes just particular area's are effected, other times all the scales on the fish stick out.

Pics would be very helpful to find out exactly which posibility your fish has and why :nod: .
Sorry I havent emailed sooner I think B is the option .Can you give me some ideas on how I would treat an internal bacteria or constapation Its got to be one of those as she just seems very tired all the time and lies on her side an awful lot at the bottom of the tank .. sorry but I cant seem to resize the photos I took but see what u can you do anyway thanks !!!

With constipation in fish, it is often caused by feeding too much dried or high protein foods- some types of goldfish are more prone to constipation than others but these are mostly the fancy types (in slim goldfish like comets and commons, the intestines are nicely laid out along the length of the guts in the fish, in fancy goldfish though they are compacted into a fat gut shape, making the fish more prone to constipation and swim bladder disorders).
To treat the constipation you should cut down on the amount of high protein and/or dried foods you are feeding the fish and make sure the water quality in the tank is excellant by doing lots of regular small water changes with water conditioner/dechlorinator. Replacing the goldfishes normal foods with cooked and de-shelled pea's (can be chopped up too) and/or blanched spinache will help get the fishes digestive tract back in good order and help clear any old food out that the fish is finding difficult to pass. The fish may not be as interested in the veg as they are in their normal foods, but cutting back on their normal foods should help incourage them to eat the veg :good: . Frozen/fresh (not dried) daphinia are also good for fishes digestion, you should be able to obtain it from your lfs/local fish store.
In bad cases of constipation though where it has been left untreated for a long time, the food in the fishes gut can start to rot and become a very serious problem, so in advanced cases of constipation you should probably use a med as well as the diet treatment like an anti internal bacterial one.

For treating internal bacteria, there are a lot of meds available for it depending on where you live in the world, me personally i prefer to use "Anti internal bacteria" by Interpet for treating internal bacteria- you should be able to get hold of it where you live as the Interpet range of meds is large and widespread and commonly available in most lfs in the UK :thumbs: .
I would treat the fish for both internal bacteria and use the diet treatment (cutting down on dried/high protein foods, start feeding fish above mentioned veg, include frozen/fresh daphinia in the diet, keep tank very clean). Hopefully the fish is not on its last legs (or should i say fins?) and its condition is not too far progressed for the treatment to be of much help- the sooner you start treating the fish, the more chance of getting better and surviving it has :nod: .

With constipation in fish, it is often caused by feeding too much dried or high protein foods- some types of goldfish are more prone to constipation than others but these are mostly the fancy types (in slim goldfish like comets and commons, the intestines are nicely laid out along the length of the guts in the fish, in fancy goldfish though they are compacted into a fat gut shape, making the fish more prone to constipation and swim bladder disorders).
To treat the constipation you should cut down on the amount of high protein and/or dried foods you are feeding the fish and make sure the water quality in the tank is excellant by doing lots of regular small water changes with water conditioner/dechlorinator. Replacing the goldfishes normal foods with cooked and de-shelled pea's (can be chopped up too) and/or blanched spinache will help get the fishes digestive tract back in good order and help clear any old food out that the fish is finding difficult to pass. The fish may not be as interested in the veg as they are in their normal foods, but cutting back on their normal foods should help incourage them to eat the veg :good: . Frozen/fresh (not dried) daphinia are also good for fishes digestion, you should be able to obtain it from your lfs/local fish store.
In bad cases of constipation though where it has been left untreated for a long time, the food in the fishes gut can start to rot and become a very serious problem, so in advanced cases of constipation you should probably use a med as well as the diet treatment like an anti internal bacterial one.

For treating internal bacteria, there are a lot of meds available for it depending on where you live in the world, me personally i prefer to use "Anti internal bacteria" by Interpet for treating internal bacteria- you should be able to get hold of it where you live as the Interpet range of meds is large and widespread and commonly available in most lfs in the UK :thumbs: .
I would treat the fish for both internal bacteria and use the diet treatment (cutting down on dried/high protein foods, start feeding fish above mentioned veg, include frozen/fresh daphinia in the diet, keep tank very clean). Hopefully the fish is not on its last legs (or should i say fins?) and its condition is not too far progressed for the treatment to be of much help- the sooner you start treating the fish, the more chance of getting better and surviving it has :nod: .
Thankyou very much for that info and al get on it right away Hopefully it will do the trick bye for now & thanks again

Most reactions

Back