Predator Tank

fatboywez

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i am looking to start a predator for a couple of oscars what size tank should i look at??

Also can some one tell me and show pics of some smaller predators that i could keep instead of the oscars

Wez

how long is a piece of string, 2 Oscars = 75 gall tank so when they go you have plenty of room for loads of predators

Ok what predators could i get in a 35 gall tank???

Ok what predators could i get in a 35 gall tank???

Depending on the actual dimensions you have quite a few options. Do you want one predatory fish or a 'community' of predators?

Solo predators could be
Erythrinus erythrinus
Congo puffer
Small snakehead species eg. bleheri

But more sociable predators include
Ctenopoma acutirostre
Senegal polypterus
african butterfly fish
Pike livebearers (Belonesox)

There's quite a wide choice out there, but the end descision is up to you.

Not sure if it counts as predatory, but you could have some of the dwarf pike cichlids in that tank or an irritans or sanchezi piranha.

Ryan

I WANT SOMETHING THATS INTRESTING TO LOOK AT AND WATCH FEEDING, WHICH ALSO HAS A BIT OF ATTITUDE

sorry for SHOUTING

I have to say Snakehead then. They are very very interesting, generally active in the correct conditions and lovely to look at.

Or a Dwarf Pike. Lovely colour - refreshingly active in the tank and not shy.

What snakeheads should i look at?????

You know google is a wonderful device.

Usually people will have an idea of what they like and what they fancy keeping, it is after all your tank. My suggestion would be you go do some research then come back with the ones you like and then people can give you advise on your selections.

i just dont want to really like the ones that are going to grow huge

i just dont want to really like the ones that are going to grow huge

look at something like
Channa Gaucha, Bleheri and orientallis.
Usually do well and dont get bigger than a foot.

Thanks i like the idea of snake head but will have to move quick as they will be banned soon so i read or there will be a ban on imports.

Yup, alot of people (me included) are trying to get
hold of what they can snakehead wise before the ban.

Shame, they're such a great fish.

Most reactions

Back