Power Head Killing My Hermits

GShorty1981

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My power head is killing my blue legged hermits off to the point there is pretty much none left,i check the tank daily but when i wake up in the morning there is always a hermit attached to it or a dead one floating around....shall i put some tights over it? how can i stop my lil dudes from getting chopped up? i have lost 9 in the last 2 weeks.

it is more likely the crabs are dieing or being killed by something in the tank and then the body is being picked up by the powerhead. You could have a mantis shrimp in the tank that would hunt them at night but hide during the day. However, it is always a good idea to have a pre-filter over the intake of any pump to stop the gunk getting inside and damaging the impellor.

No 100% the powerhead,i had one wedged in it earlier..went to grab him out but murdered him into tiny little bits in the process :(

The only ones that are fine are the big guys.

I have 3 Powerheads...2 Koriella Nanos and the one thats causing the problem is a Juwel Powerhead from a old 5ft tank,its flow is twice that of the Koriellas and much more efficient but has a exposed impeller on the side of it.

There deffo not dieing as i can see the poor things struggling to get out.

No 100% the powerhead,i had one wedged in it earlier..went to grab him out but murdered him into tiny little bits in the process :(

The only ones that are fine are the big guys.

I have 3 Powerheads...2 Koriella Nanos and the one thats causing the problem is a Juwel Powerhead from a old 5ft tank,its flow is twice that of the Koriellas and much more efficient but has a exposed impeller on the side of it.

There deffo not dieing as i can see the poor things struggling to get out.
I was gonna say the Koriella should keep the guys out of there... I had an old exposed powerhead my father had sitting around, but I decided to just buy some Koriellas.

Most reactions

Back