Power Cut!

roguekiller23231

Reaction score
i had a powercut last night, and it was an absolute nightmare, but luckly i knew what to do, i filled bottles with hot water to keep the temps up on my tanks.

but it got me thinking, since it was at night, it was only luck that i was awake at the time the power went out. if i wasnt i would have been unaware and probably wake up with some dead fish.

so does anyone know of any kind of alarm that would wake me up if there was a powercut?

Aye, one which relied on there being power supplied to it to prevent it going off :p

If the powercut is for under 6 hours, in an average house, for an average tank, you shouldn't have any problems. Healthy fish can tolerate quite large changes in temperature. The main problems arise in overstocked tanks, where there is not enough oxygen for the fish.

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/Mains_Power_Alert-1.html

Quite expensive tho

sorry, i have nothing to add, but im curious - if you had no power, how did you get hot water?
simple answer i guess, but im a bit thick :p

sorry, i have nothing to add, but im curious - if you had no power, how did you get hot water?
simple answer i guess, but im a bit thick :p

thank god i didnt stand by the kettle for an hour wondering why it didnt boil. lol

gas stove!

we used to get them all the time but we used to room heat
the fish room via a gas fire we found it a lot cheaper than heating
each individual tank. and the gas fire was never affected by
power cuts. filters were OK for 12 to 24 hrs. and used an old tractor
inner tube filled with compressed air to keep air powered filters running or air stones i later switched to a diving tank to keep them running longer

Most reactions

Back