Power Cut Causes Filter To Leak

Robsan

Reaction score
Hi Guys

new to this forum but have been keeping tropical fish for over ten years.

My set up is a trigon 350 - with the internal filter and an external fluval 405.

the problem being that whenever we have a power cut - the fluval empties water everywhere - constantly leaking until i pul the pipes out - now this is not to bad if I am in teh house when the power cut happens - but if i am away or at work I come home to a nightmare.

Any reasons why this is happening? is it just the fluval 405? how can i stop it

Cheers

Hi Robsan
How old is the filter?
Have you checked the rubber seals?

although Tbh if you search around the forum, you'll see that people do not rate this particular Fluval range which does have a huge reputation for leaking and breaking.

Is the leak coming from the pipes by the aquastop, or is it from the main body og the filter. Maidenhead aquatics online store stock all the spares for this filter, it may be as simple as replacing the seal, which is quite cheap to do. Even the ribbers that go into the aquastop can be replaced.

cheers guys - i think i will look at replacing the seals first - then think about a new filter - its only 2 years old

If its just a small leak when it happens, until you solve the problem, you could put the filter into a bucket. When I had a fluval I used to sit it permanently in a bucket inside the cabinet in case this ever happened, after reading they are prone to leaks.

Where is it leaking from:

The Tubing at the Valve
OR
From the sides on the cannister itself

If its from the tubing, try the other aquastop value and make sure the pipes are fitted tightly - perhaps with a Jubilee clip

If its from the sides, you probably just need to pick up a new O Ring

it only leaks when there is a power cut

then it comes out from where the tubes meets the filter container

For now i have just put the whole cannister in a bucket - and will save up to buy a new one :rolleyes:

For now i have just put the whole cannister in a bucket - and will save up to buy a new one :rolleyes:

Ok, so is it leaking from

a - The tube meeting the aquastop
b - The aquastop itself

?

And another fluval victim. Sorry mate. Expensive lesson learned. Fluval wants you to buy replacement parts monthly for the rest of your life and buy an item that looks so similar to a shop vac lol.

Eheim just wants your money on filter media and flimsy pads, but their stuff actually holds up. somewhat

fluvals are notorious for leaking

Absolute rubbish!

A power cut makes no difference whatsoever to the sealing of the pipes to the taps.

Take off the hoses and remake the connections, pushing the hoses on as far as possible and screwing up the lock nuts as tightly as possible onto the hoses. There is no way you have done this properly if it is leaking.

And another fluval victim. Sorry mate. Expensive lesson learned. Fluval wants you to buy replacement parts monthly for the rest of your life and buy an item that looks so similar to a shop vac lol.

You are talking absolute crap matey.

I have run Fluvals for years without a single breakdown of any kind.

Lets not use this guy's thread to discuss Fluval Externals AGAIN - lets try to help him, eh?

Like someone above said, take your connectioned off the aquastop, inspect them, then put them back on and make sure its nice and tight.

have the filter with a good seal

Most reactions

Back