pots in fish tank??

willywonka099

Fishaholic
Reaction score
would clay pots be okay for my fish tank if there was nothing for fish to get cut on ......... also i was thinking of a snad tank how would i clen this would cyphon nor suck up sand ?

I know a lot of people on here (myself included) have terra cotta pots in our tanks. I boiled my new ones, then rinsed them with dechlorinated water and put them in.

hi, teracotta pots should be fine as long as they are new, and have never been used for plants. I like to boil anything that gets added to my tanks as well just in case.

As for sand, yes it does get sucked up with a syphon, but unlike gravel, waste does not sink into it, it simply rests on the top, so it is possible to hold the syphon above the sand and the suction will lift the lighter waste off the surface of the sand.

At the risk......I disagree with you Applebloosom. Forgive me?

Sand will soon get 'stirred up' by any passing fish, and as a result, waste will still work its way into it. :)

I used to have sand on the bottom of my aquariums, but everytime I tried to simphon, it would get sucked up :X Really ANNOYING!

But maybe there is a technique for sand itself. Kribs' idea sounds like it would work...I dunno...I took out the sand and put river rocks and gravel instead :blink:

-Fishes such as oscars, plecos., and angelfish love clay pots! Just make sure you boil them and wash them well!!

Most reactions

Back