Potential 135 Gallon Cichlid Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Murrayjane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Life is continuous and flows rapidly... and so does my obsession with fish keeping.

I am currently planning to purchase a 135 gallon (511 liter) aquarium.

My first question: What are the general rates for a 135 gallon standardized glass tank in the U.S? (California)

I am prepared to also purchase all necessary and beneficial equipment (Canister, Hanging Filter, Heaters, Hoods/Lights etc..)

Currently own a 55 (208 liter) and 29 gallon (110 liter) aquariums with the current cichlid stock: 29 Gallon - 1 Blue Acara, 1 Convict. In the 55 Gallon - 1 Oscar, 2 Firemouths, and 2 Jack Dempseys.

So my second question: What would be an appropriate combination of Cichlid's to have in the 135 gallon tank?

The basic layout of the fish I already own and intend to add to the tank
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Jack Dempseys
2 Firemouths
(Potentially the Acara or Convict)

Some Fish that I would like to add to this would be (Picking 1 or 2 total): Salvini, Texas, Green Terror, Red Terror, Red Devil, (or something else someone can suggest)

What I was HOPING for would be something like
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Jack Dempseys
2 Firemouths
1 Texas
1 Salvini or Green Terror

Or
1 Tiger Oscar
2 Jack Dempseys
2 Firemouths
1 Red Devil or Red Terror

I am aware that it will always come down to the individual fish and I will get the stock while they are all still juveniles.

Please lend me your thoughts!

you could add two convicts, they can handle thier own against the oscars, etc. and if you have a maed pair, the other cichlids could eat the fry and get an extra burst of protein, but thats all i have for advice, my biggest tank is only 20 gallons

Hi I have a 135 as well :) Mine is 6 foot long, 18inches front to back and 24 inches deep. Whats the foot print on this one?

I think you have to have a think about what you want the most...

And then your list should be like

4 of the following.

1 Tiger Oscar
1 Texas
1 Salvini
1 Green Terror
1 Red Devil
1 Red Terror

One group of dither and or one group of catfish or single cat.

Though depending on foot print it might never work. And as ever with these kind of cichlids you can never garuntee it...

The other tank is

1 Tiger Oscar
2 Jack Dempseys
2 Firemouths

and then add more dithers and cats. One or two more cichlids might work in ther but go for similar sizes to the FMs and JDs rather than the Oscar - let the Oscar be king as it were...The Salvini might work here. But the smaller cichlids in there would not be able to match the strength of the fish from the first list. The jaw structures are different as they are all at different levels of the food chain.

Wills

I live in California and would have to call or go to the pet store, to see how much it would cost. It will also vary in price by shop.
Wills is a mastermind of cichlid communities, so I would take his advice.

Thanks for the advice.

From what I am currently understanding is that I either keep the setup I have now, or remove the JD's and FM's and get (for example):
1 Oscar
1 Texas
1 Green Terror
1 Red Devil

would the Red Devil or Red Terror ever become too aggressive to be kept in the 135 with the others?

The Texas, terrors and devil all have the potential to be problems to your Oscar. Less aggressive fish, severums, Geophagus and acaras, would make better tankmates.

Okay so I will stick with my current stock and do

1 Oscar
2 Jack Dempseys
2 Firemouths

and if aggression seems docile, maybe ill try putting in the convict and blue acara.

Is there any way I could swing a Salvini with the Oscar?

Most reactions

Back