Possible very sick Betta Help!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gia311

Reaction score
My Betta is hiding all the time and not eating. He used to swim all the time. I noticed a white fin so I
sick betta.jpg
have been giving him Betta fox and cleaned his entire 10 gal tank. I check the ph level and temp, all good. Now I notice some swelling and discoloration. Attached is a picture. Other than Betta fix what else can I use and what do you think is wrong with him?

Last edited:
First off, please dont use bettafix, while it is marketed for bettas it is actually really bad for them. Bettas breath from the surface using their labyrinth organ, bettafix coats the surface of the water and when the bettas try to breath it coats their organ and can suffocate them.
I am going to ask some questions to help is help you diagnose him

Did you test for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite? What were the results if you did?
Is it heated/filtered?
Did you cycle the tank?
How long have you had the betta?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change each time?

Do a 75% water change

Thank you for responding!
I use Tetra Easy Strips, it tests for Nitrate, Nitrite, Total Hardness, total Chlorine Total Alkalinity and PH, I didn't see where it tests for Amonia. Here are the numbers:
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Hardness = 75
Chlorine = Safe
Alkalinity = 120
Ph = 7.2
It is heated, I took the charcoal filter out and just kept the filter shell so that the Betta fix would not get filtered, I actually called API and asked them this. The temp is 75. What do you mean by cycle, I did a full change last friday and put in the aqua safe and added proper PH 7.0 and checked the water before I put the fish in it. I have been checking the water periodically all week and PH is good. Had the Betta since xmas.The water was bad last week b/c I didn't have a vacuum and I think we fed him 2x a day instead of once. Now we do once and so last week I had to do a full change but I have my vacuum now so I was planning on changing the water tonight for a 25 % change but you are saying 75% correct? The water looks great but, like you said, the betta fix is still in there. My betta is hiding inside his castel and we can't see him, I believe he is at the top of the castle where there might be a bubble of air so what you are saying makes a lot of sense. Just angry about Betta fix! So please advise if I should do the 75% water change now. Thank so much really appreciate this!

I use Tetra Easy Strips, it tests for Nitrate, Nitrite, Total Hardness, total Chlorine Total Alkalinity and PH, I didn't see where it tests for Amonia. Here are the numbers:
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Hardness = 75
Chlorine = Safe
Alkalinity = 120
Ph = 7.2
It is heated, I took the charcoal filter out and just kept the filter shell so that the Betta fix would not get filtered, I actually called API and asked them this. The temp is 75. What do you mean by cycle, I did a full change last friday and put in the aqua safe and added proper PH 7.0 and checked the water before I put the fish in it. I have been checking the water periodically all week and PH is good. Had the Betta since xmas.The water was bad last week b/c I didn't have a vacuum and I think we fed him 2x a day instead of once. Now we do once and so last week I had to do a full change but I have my vacuum now so I was planning on changing the water tonight for a 25 % change but you are saying 75% correct? The water looks great but, like you said, the betta fix is still in there. My betta is hiding inside his castel and we can't see him, I believe he is at the top of the castle where there might be a bubble of air so what you are saying makes a lot of sense. Just angry about Betta fix! So please advise if I should do the 75% water change now. Thank so much really appreciate this!
Yes do the water change now.

Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Hardness = 75
Chlorine = Safe
Alkalinity = 120
Ph = 7.2
This is an article about cycling https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
Your nitrate being at zero seems like the tank is not cycled, I will let other members go into this more in depth.

By full water change what do you mean?
Most members on this forum do about 50% weekly :)

I would reccomend not using the PH adjuster, it actually causes more harm than good. I know how frustrating it is that companies that are supposed to help fish sell unnecessary and unhelpful things.

Once again Juicebox52 I can't thank you enough for all your help! My daughter was very upset about her Betta, we both have grown in love with him.

By full water change what do you mean?
Most members on this forum do about 50% weekly :)

I would reccomend not using the PH adjuster, it actually causes more harm than good. I know how frustrating it is that companies that are supposed to help fish sell unnecessary and unhelpful things.
Really? I had an alkaline problem that is why I bought it! So just basically frequent water changes and cycling is that correct? What do I do about his white fin?

Once again Juicebox52 I can't thank you enough for all your help! My daughter was very upset about her Betta, we both have grown in love with him.
No problem! :) bettas are very cute little guys and they sneak into your heart

Really? I had an alkaline problem that is why I bought it! So just basically frequent water changes and cycling is that correct? What do I do about his white fin?
I cannot say for sure about the alkaline issue @Byron can maybe help here.
For the white fin it may be fungus so do a 75% water change every day for two weeks and then see how hes doing.
After the two weeks do 50% weekly :)

You will need to do a “fish in” cycle now so read on that. :). Big water changes of 50-75% are your best friend.
Thanks deanasue I can never find the right link!

I cannot say for sure about the alkaline issue @Byron can maybe help here.
For the white fin it may be fungus so do a 75% water change every day for two weeks and then see how hes doing.
After the two weeks do 50% weekly :)
Thanks deanasue I can never find the right link!
Thank you deanasue for the helpful info! Truly appreciate it!

Most reactions

Back