Possible Tank? Or No Point. . .

michaelb_123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, just found a 43 litre storage thingi (9.46 uk gal) - just wondering weather it could be made into some sort of tank or it would be a awste of time. . . Father reckons waste of time but i'm enthusiastic -_-' lol :lol:

the probz is the sides arnt see-thru (translucent) as you can see in the pic so i wd only be able to view from above
114736909_6801dbcf5d.jpg

(would take the plastic off and make a clear lid)

Please give comments - is it just a waste of time?
I just fancy a big tank cuz i havnt had one yet and it seems like a wasted opportunity. . .

Thanks

- Enthusiast - :thumbs: :thumbs:

Could work, check it's foodsafe though. They normally are, but you never know. Pick a fish that looks good viewed from above, maybe create a mini indoor tropical pond type thing.

Could work, check it's foodsafe though. They normally are, but you never know. Pick a fish that looks good viewed from above, maybe create a mini indoor tropical pond type thing.

Sure it could be. I've used a 2liter coke bottle as a tank before.. Anything that holds water can be a tank. The fish just won't look pretty through that, if you could even make it out looking into that thing. Its not clear enough imo.

theres loadsa surface area as you can see, anyone have any suggestions? a few goldfish? lol. cnt wait to get suggestions hint hint lol

God i'm gna need loadsa gravel if i get some lol. . .

you wanna be careful, some of that stuff can be kinda brittle, add a bunch of water to that equation and you have a disaster.

you wanna be careful, some of that stuff can be kinda brittle, add a bunch of water to that equation and you have a disaster.
could one please elaborate?

cnt wait!!! lol

i hope it does work out. I might get a cheap fish that is hardy such as a goldfish and see if it survives. . . i hope so . . . it would be so awesome. . I could have it for a huge fry tank? lol

Its too small for goldfish (although it would be a good idea if it was big enough, as goldfish are suppost to be best viewed from the top!)
You could probably stock it more then a regular rectangular tank because it has more surface area though.

You could use it as a breeding tank, or quarentine tank. If you grew plants, you could set it up at a plant grow out space. It wouldn't do too well as a fish viewing tank though.

not even a small goldfish? i was thinkin i could due to the large surface area, perhaps some small coldwater fish like white cloud minnows or somethin - onli probz is theyr so small it wdnt look that good from above. . .

thanks so far mates!!!

There is no such thing as a "small" goldfish. Fancies will at the VERY minimum get 6-8" long, the normal comet/common goldfish (usually sold as feeders) will get a couple feet long. When they are young goldfish need 10 gallons of water each, but soon you'll be looking at 20-30 gallons each. Goldfish are such great fish and I do wish there was such thing as a small goldfish that could be kept in a simple 10 or 20 gallon tank, but unfortunatly, there isn't.
Personally, I think white clouded mountain minnows are too active for a 10 gallon (I'm just rounding it off), same with danios. Other sub-tropical fish would be wheater (dojo) loaches, which also get too big, and those "coldwater" plecos (which have too many common names to list!) which need lots of water movement/airation and stable water conditions. It would probably be best to get a heater.

I think its a bit risky my friend bought one similar to this as he wanted to move his tank so was going to use this as a temp one and it split,it did not have a perfect flat bottom it had a a lip all the way round underneath which split under the weight of the water :-( so be careful

um, since this doesn't seem to have been explicitly mentioned yet...

43 liters is just 10 gallons.

that's not very big at all.

Most reactions

Back