Possible Silly Questions

dazzadub said:
The 2 females ate going, and will go into my father in laws tank. I will keep the male and mollies.

Getting rid of the females really is for the best, but I urge you to also get rid of the mollies, they really are not suitable for your tank size. :/ Get some shrimp or a snail or two for the bottom of the tank, both are interesting in their own way, and you say your tank is live planted, so they will enjoy that. :)
Did you read the link about cycling?

I'm afraid I have to agree, OP; all those fish are too big for your tank.

When someone said you could have six fish, in a six gallon tank, what they meant was six, one inch fish, or three two inch ones, although, being honest, nothing that grows to over an inch has any place in a tank of that size. It just doesn't give them enough room to swim about properly.

The kind of advice you've been given by the shop is pretty poor, but what we've come to expect, tbh :( They are all about making sales, while we promote 'best practice' for the fish's welfare.

I've spoken with a few other fish tank keepers, they all pretty much agree both female fighters should be removed and that the 3 mollies and 1 male fighter will be ok in the tank and advised I get a shrimp or couple of snails.

Well I can't stop you from keeping the mollies despite the fact the tank is too small for them and they need 10G absolute min. It's good you decided to move on the female fighters, but If you are looking for approval on the choice to keep the mollies you won't find it here. Good luck to you, but I'm obviously done here.

Update.

Been to the pet shop who sold me the set up. Spoke to manager, she said it's there fault the tank is overstocked and has given me a 40ltr tank to home my 6 fish. New gravel etc

She said I need to move them asap and said the chances are the fish could become stressed and die and she apologised if that happens and will replace any that do free.

So the nee tank has been set up, old eater in New tank with 50% fresh treated water now in. And fish now in it.

Yes not idea to do that and not allow take to cycle but she said it had to be done.

Get the media from your old filter and put it in the new one. That way any bacteria you had in the old tank will be transferred to the new one, which will help with your cycle.

That's what I've done.
Fingers crossed fish last and all is well

Most reactions

Back