Possible Bala Babies

WeeMan147

Reaction score
Hey everyone, not sure if this should be labeled as an emergency, but I think my balas were spawning. The other day I noticed that the balas weren't doing their usual chasing and playing routine. They were rubbing together. I went on Google to check out everything and I found this link here: Bala Shark If you watch the video that is the exact same thing my sharks were doing. According to the site that's "possible spawning behavior" but I just want to be sure. My PH is 7 and the temperature of my tank is 76 F. I do notice that one of the sharks is much bigger than the other leading me to believe one female and one male. I wish I could have gotten it on video, but I wasn't thinking of it at the time. I read that they release their sperm and egg out in the water, and I didn't see anything. It may just be I wasn't looking for the right thing. What do you guys think?

~WeeMan~

There are very few, if any, confirmed reports of balas breeding in captivity. What size are yours? M?ost people reckon you would need at least 7-8" balas before they are mature enough to breed. Mine all indulge in some body slapping and grinding, usually after food when they are re-establishing the shoal pecking order.

They are about 5-6". I have never seen them do it after food, I find it quite amusing when they were doing that. Thanks for responding!

~WeeMan~

Most reactions

Back