Positioning Of Filter?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wend

Reaction score
Hi, still setting up tank. Not quite into cycling just yet still to buy the API kit.

ANYWAY, is there any merit in positioning the filter with the top slightly out of the water to create a 'waterfall' effect. Will this oxygenise the water any? Or is it just a daft idea that will make waterfall noise and make everyone need the loo?

Back to API kit, my tank for my crabs is actually brakish. As this is inbetween fresh and salt Im not sure which kit to buy.

With internal filters I think they're more efficient if the top isn't too far out of the water, but your theory is correct, the more you can get the surface water to move then the more oxygen in the water which the growing bacteria like.

I just started out as well and it sounds like you have the external filter that hooks on the outside and runs into the tank in a waterfall (came with the 20g setup from Petsmart). I found, unless you have the water level pretty low, it doesn't make much of a difference and I didn't like the way the tank didn't look full. I got a bubbler which creates a lot of surface aggitation and I can fill the water up to the lip of the filter.

With internal filters I think they're more efficient if the top isn't too far out of the water, but your theory is correct, the more you can get the surface water to move then the more oxygen in the water which the growing bacteria like.
Agree with Warehouse, when you start to cycle and your aquarium water is at 29c oxygen levels can become depleated so by placing your filters flow nozzle near the waters surface will improve the oxygen content. If you wish you can always place an airstone in aswell.

Keith.

Hi, it is an internal filter. I dont think I want any air stones or anything because I hate wires and plugs cluttering up the place so I only want what is strictly necessary.

Useful advice, thank you.

I cant seem to find anyone who can tell me which API test to buy tho - fresh or salt water. My tank is brakish (to suit red crabs). Even the lady in the pet shop didnt know. Anyone out there any suggesions?

Hi, I would just go for a freshwater test kit and a aquarium hydrometer.

Welcome to the forum :)

Hey, I've just looked in my tropical aquarium book about filters.

THE VENTURI EFFECT
As water is pumped back into the tank, it can also be aerated by a venturi pipe. This accelerates the water flow and draws in a stream of air from above the surface.

BACK-UP AERATION
Although a power filter provides aeration, it is a good idea to have an air pump and air stone to provide back up aeration in case of filter failure (get one just incase, you don't have to set it up unless the worst happens)

Hope this helps :)

THE VENTURI EFFECT
As water is pumped back into the tank, it can also be aerated by a venturi pipe. This accelerates the water flow and draws in a stream of air from above the surface

But is noisier than an air stone/pump so not rea;ly worth the effort.

T

THE VENTURI EFFECT
As water is pumped back into the tank, it can also be aerated by a venturi pipe. This accelerates the water flow and draws in a stream of air from above the surface

T

True.

But if air stones are not wanted due to wires, that's the only other option (unless there is some other fancy gadget out there)

THE VENTURI EFFECT

T

True.

But if air stones are not wanted due to wires, that's the only other option (unless there is some other fancy gadget out there)

you just need one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Juwel-Venturi-Kit-Air-Diffuser-Pump-/150537622131?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item230cbdd273#ht_2586wt_969

the blue bit is a silencer, i have a black one but does the same thing. you put a piece of filter floss inside and it makes it totally silent

i must say for some one wanting a tank your not really open to having a air diffuser or air pump to create more air difusion in the tank. my tank runs 6 plugs, 2 external pumps,2 heaters, a power-head, and double outlet air pump feeding air to the out let nozzles

and the power head has a venturi tube

other then that o2 tablets are your only other option but even then there not great and cost alot

Agree with Skins that the warm water during the fishless cycle (the first few months you are trying to create a good "bacterial growing soup" and nothing in the tank need be oriented to its eventual running condition) will lower the oxygen carrying capability just when you want it to be more heavily oxygenated for the bacteria. Unfortunately, bubbles add hardly any oxygen (this is covered in our scientific section but the jist of it is that the bubbles rise to quickly for the air/water exchange to occur) and so they only aid in minor circulation movement. Of much greater importance is the use of the filter or any other methods to keep the surface water moving in a significant way. This is where virtually all of the oxygen exchange occurs. Nonetheless, I do have a pump and airstone I add during fishless cycling in addition to using surface movement from filters.

After cycling, airstones/air decorations are really just for human entertainment. They can be quite fun and beautiful though and it's certainly a personal choice. Despite endless advice from people, noise really is usually a significant problem for bedroom or quiet living room use in most cases.

Anyway, glad to see you've got the right idea that oxygenation is a significant factor for cycling!

~~waterdrop~~

I've definitely noticed the easiest way to notice the water level has dropped is when I've had to get up and visit the bathroom for the 2nd or 3rd time in an evening. :lol: My penguin filter (200) "turns out" so it pushes the water out across the surface of the tank water. Filling it up beyond the point where it's quiet still produces plenty of agitation and a good bit of current my fishies love. :)

Right now I also have a smaller filter in my big (38g) tank to sorta "pre-cycle" it for my hospital/quarantine tank. As soon as I get the new filter to go on my upcoming 75g it'll go on there for a while, too, until I am ready to get the BIG tank and start cycling. The little filter doesn't is much shorter than the bigger one so I'd have to just about flood my bigger filter to get the water high enough, but it drops into the water much quieter even though it cascades. Much smaller surface area being hit, and where it hits is more constant. Thank goodness. LOL It also smooths the sand below it for me. HA!

I might look again into the possibility of an air stone then. The noise shouldnt be too much of a problem as the tank is in the kitchen.

My API test kit arrived today ( I bought the saltwater one in the end). Sad to say I am both excited and nervous as I am ready to get going.

Also as I have found the brakish section further down, thats where I need to be so many thanks for all the useful advice - Id be nowhere without it!

Im off to the brakish bit. By for now

Most reactions

Back