Positioning My Fish Tank

vic fish

Reaction score
I've just bought a 60L tank which sits perfectly on a very strong table I have. I'll use the foam as a layer between the tank and table.

I would prefer a bigger tank but the depth of the tank is only 5mm less than the depth of the table. So the tank would sit very close to the edge of the table.

Is this ok? The tank definitely wouldn't hang over the edge of the table and I'll use the foam. The table surface is very flat.

Someone said the tank shouldn't be that close to the edge, but most people think it's ok.

Please help asap!!!

ot should be fine. As long as its not hanging off. Mine has very little almost no room left on the stand it is on and it was made for the same size aquarium. Youll be fine just make sure its all level as to prevent strain on the glass.

Great, thank you! wasn't expecting such a quick reply.

I'm just worried I'll come home and find water and fish all over the carpet.

But as long as the tank doesn't hang off the edge, should be ok.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll have more questions. I haven't even got water in my tank yet ;-)

ask away and seeing hows you dont have fish yet. i would read the article pinned at the top of the new to the hobby section on fishless cycling.

I always thought it would be better for the tank edges to match the table edges since then the tank would be directly over the table's legs and support.

so long as there is enough support then its not completely nessacary. If i have a 4 foot long desk, its going to hold up a 20 gallon tank with no problem provided its not made of cardboard but solid materials.

Thnks guys.

I'm only going to have 2-4 goldfish. Do I still need to do the fishless cycle?

For the fishes health i would. If i would have known about it i would have done it originally. I mean thats ultimately up to you to do. But we try to recomend it to people.

Thnks guys.

I'm only going to have 2-4 goldfish. Do I still need to do the fishless cycle?

60l for 2-4 Goldfish?. You'll need a bigger tank quicker than you think. Goldfish are one of the messiest fish to keep. 20 gallons for the first fish, an extra 10 for each subsequent one. I'd also be wary of putting a tank on anything not made for the purpose.

I made my tank stand myself-in itself an achievement as I'm crap at DIY. If I'd had the forethought to invest in a jigsaw it would have been cheaper, but as it was including materials, undercoat and some fancy stone effect spray paint (which does look pretty good) it cost me £40 to make it.

Was a pain in the backside painting and undercoating, but I got something that perfectly fit my 60L as a consequence and having learned from the experience, if I were to do it again I could do it in half the time and considerably cheaper.

Most reactions

Back