Population

sally2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi

we are new and have not bought any fish yet

how many mollies guppies and platties can you keep in a 20 or 10 gallon tank . if we had a small catfish how many less?

thanks

the general rule you'll hear is one inch of fish per gallon.

my ten gallon tank has 3 platies, 3 small cory catfish and an aquatic frog. I suppose with a lot of work you could have some more, but I probably wouldn't want to add any more.

Remember to make sure you have 2 females per each male. Otherwise they get really stressed out. To avoid this I bought all females. You could always buy two of each fish for a 10 gallon tank (making 6), providing you dont mind having all females.

You could probably keep anywhere from 5-9 in a 10 gallon tank, depending on size. Mollies are larger than guppies and platies aren't they?

It may be a good idea to wait for more replies, as im no expert and speak from personal experience. :)

the general rule you'll hear is one inch of fish per gallon.

my ten gallon tank has 3 platies, 3 small cory catfish and an aquatic frog. I suppose with a lot of work you could have some more, but I probably wouldn't want to add any more.

Remember to make sure you have 2 females per each male. Otherwise they get really stressed out. To avoid this I bought all females. You could always buy two of each fish for a 10 gallon tank (making 6), providing you dont mind having all females.

You could probably keep anywhere from 5-9 in a 10 gallon tank, depending on size. Mollies are larger than guppies and platies aren't they?

It may be a good idea to wait for more replies, as im no expert and speak from personal experience. :)

Thats one inch of adult size fish per gallon, the guide only applies to slim bodied fish which grow less than 3 inches. A 10 gallon is limited so get at least a 20. Mollys grow too big for a 10 gallon. In a 10 gal you could have 3 platies or guppies and 3 corys but that would be pushing it as corys grow 2.5 inches unless you get one of the dwarf varieties and platies grow 2 inches. In a 20 gallon tank you could have say 5 corys and 6, 2 inch fish. What ever size tank you get, you'll soon wish it was bigger so get the biggest you can afford and don't forget the fishless cycle.

Emma :)

I'd go with the info above. My 5-9 fish was a guess. I wouldn't push more than 6 adult sized platy or guppy into the 10 g now that I think about it.

Forgot to mention. A 20 G tank would be more fun. :D

i think we are going to go for a 17 uk gallon tank

Most reactions

Back