Poor Moon :(

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Tomorrow I do my third dose of Kanaplex for Moon’s fin rot. He gets worse every day. By two days after the third dose, if he’s not better, what’s my next step? He’s losing fin fast. He’s not lethargic. He swims around and eats fine.

Attachments

• 7B7ABD23-A9CA-4CF4-AD90-D5694913DAFF.png
    7B7ABD23-A9CA-4CF4-AD90-D5694913DAFF.png
    536.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 56C57017-0A59-4073-9549-CF75F1D77312.jpeg
    56C57017-0A59-4073-9549-CF75F1D77312.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 173
The next step is to remove any sharp decor from the tank...and are those real sea shells????? They should not be in a fresh water tank...they break down and release into the water column and it will raise your p.h astronomically.

The next step is to remove any sharp decor from the tank...and are those real sea shells????? They should not be in a fresh water tank...they break down and release into the water column and it will raise your p.h astronomically.
Oh gosh I didn’t know that!! They’re not from the sea, I got them from LFS ;/ are they still bad?

Okay the colorful cave is out. It was a little rough on one part. Now the hide I have is very smooth, he’s had it in his tank before. I have a big shipment of plants coming so I’ll fill it up to make it more homey. I also removed the shells

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 145
I’m really worried with how fast it’s spreading. It seems like every day his tail gets shorter and shorter. Should I finish the third dose and try Furan next? I’m scared to use so many antibiotics but I don’t know what else to do

I’m really worried with how fast it’s spreading. It seems like every day his tail gets shorter and shorter. Should I finish the third dose and try Furan next? I’m scared to use so many antibiotics but I don’t know what else to do
We live in Texas and house is well insulated so room temp makes water stay 75-76

Is he biting his fins? Some bettas do this, and no amount of treatment will stop it.

Is he biting his fins? Some bettas do this, and no amount of treatment will stop it.
I’ve never seen him do that :/ it seems like when I got him about two months ago he had a little tear, and then just over the last two weeks it got bad really fast.

That honestly looks like fin biting, not fin rot. I had a betta do this a while back, and there was nothing I could do for him.

Keep up the water changes weekly, as you don’t want his fins getting infected, which could cause fin rot.

I feel sorry for your little guys... :(

(Note: This is not your fault - some bettas just do this, if they feel their fins are to long)

That honestly looks like fin biting, not fin rot. I had a betta do this a while back, and there was nothing I could do for him.

Keep up the water changes weekly, as you don’t want his fins getting infected, which could cause fin rot.

I feel sorry for your little guys... :(

(Note: This is not your fault - some bettas just do this, if they feel their fins are to long)
Will he do it till he has no fins? And even if I’ve never seen him do it??

I just remembered a couple weeks ago I had some ghost shrimp in there with him, and while Moon never bothered them, they sometimes would jump or walk on him or mess with him. Do you think they might have done it? Or at least contributed?
If it’s tail biting, should I add tank mates for distraction but one that offers more stimulation?

Will he do it till he has no fins? And even if I’ve never seen him do it??
He will do it, until he can’t reach his fins. They usually do it if they are stressed. The ghost shrimp you mentioned may be stressing him out

The ghost shrimp definitely didn’t tear or bite his fins.

He will do it, until he can’t reach his fins. They usually do it if they are stressed. The ghost shrimp you mentioned may be stressing him out

The ghost shrimp definitely didn’t tear or bite his fins.
Okay, I had removed them so they haven’t been in there for a while.

Most reactions

Back