Poor fish at local Walmart!

Crystal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I went into the local Walmart today to check out their pet department (after hearing horror stoies from you guys) and I ended up bringing home a little neon tetra to add to my tank. There were about 2 guppies dead in the tank my poor little tetra was all alone in, plus about 5 others dead. The guy that apparently knew fish there was a complete moron, and when I pointed out all the dead fish he just said "they are not dead, they're sleeping" like I was some 5 year old. I wanted to take more fish home, but I have a nice little tetra tank, so I just took the alone tetra. It is currently in a 1gal quarentine tank so I can moniter it before adding it to my larger tank.
How long should I have the little thing quarentined for?

Give us his address, and I'll send the boys round. He'll soon know what'll it be like swimming with the fishes.

(Joking! :D )

Crystal,

The pet conglomerates are well known for selling fish that are too young, too stressed, and kept with incompatible tankmates. By purchasing anything from these stores, cat food or a lone tetra, you are just contributing to their success. You can speak with a manager, but I don't think he/she really cares...it's all about profit. I doubt these managers really have a solid background. I'm not knocking all Pet-Smart employees, I continually refer to one local guy because he has never given me bad advice, but I still haven't bought anything from him. To best get your message accross don't shop there.

Thank you. I normally would not, but I felt bad for the little guy, and my SO was askign if we could take the poor thing home.

i know how you feel. i am bad about rescuing fish, usually bettas. i would keep him quarantined for at least a couple weeks. don't want to lose any of your other guys just to save one.

Our walmart usually has an awesome fish department (the guy who runs it is really GOOD with fish) I went there tonight to look at their fish only to find so many DEAD fish it wasn't even funny. (the "fish guy" is on vacation I pity him when he comes back) One tank they had was full of fish that were so bloated they couldn't swim. Most were dead but quite a few were sunk to the bottom trying to swim and failing :( It was very sad. I did end up buying my guppies there because they were cheaper and they had the colors I wanted. (luckily they were nice and healthy looking)

I am one of those people that have a problem with fish from walmart. :sly: I never buy actual fish from there just supplies. ;) However, it kills me how you guys always complain about the condition of fish then still purchase. :blink:

Sorry to say that neon tetra will probably croak :( , 1 neon tetra from a great pet shop, in excellent condition will probably die over the stress of being by itself :( , so what will you think is going to happen to the disadvantaged walmart fish. :-(

IT IS THE SAME WATER RUNNING THROUGH ALL THE TANKS! :blink: So if you see bloated fish, dead fish, or sick fish. Your tetra and guppies were exposed. I wonder why people would risk infecting thier tanks like that, even if it is just a quaruntine tank. :blink:

I only give exceptions to the betta, cause they are kept seperately, and most people keep them seperate. But buying from walmarts tank stock, when you see dying or dead fish IMO is just retarded. :crazy: :blink:

RANT.......................................over. :/

I always wonder that. Yeah ok so 'rescuing' a fish may seem like a good idea but it aint. Not only do you risk infecting your own fish but you give the shop moeny so they can order more fish and keep them the same way. If no one bought the fish they would not be able to get more in and the problem would stop. Job done.
By sacrificing one fish you may be able to save the lives of millions of others.
Please dont take from that sentence that I think life is worthless. I would do most things to save an animal but the more fish we buy from these places the more they can sell :/

Fish sleeping my arse :sly:
That bloke should have a knitting needle in the neck :grr:

And this time I aint joking ;)

As there are many horror stories from you guys. The walmart by me seems okay there is an occasional dead fish, but there are also occasional dead fish at my LFS which rocks. Maybe there is just an experianced fish lover who works there and just said ' Um dude, about the fish...'

Most reactions

Back