Poor conditions at petco

Really bad, these fish deserve better.
Granted the shot of the fish in an aquarium with nothing but a stiletto shoe is only a few seconds long but it will still put the wrong idea into someone's head as to how to keep fish. Sadly there are stupid people out there who will copy that. Just as with stores displaying their fish (and other animals) in completely inappropriate ways that new animal keepers will assume correct and replicate it at home.

How can anyone be educated on what is right or wrong when those who have the greatest opportunity and responsibility to show what is right or wrong continually stuff it up?

Granted the shot of the fish in an aquarium with nothing but a stiletto shoe is only a few seconds long but it will still put the wrong idea into someone's head as to how to keep fish. Sadly there are stupid people out there who will copy that. Just as with stores displaying their fish (and other animals) in completely inappropriate ways that new animal keepers will assume correct and replicate it at home.

How can anyone be educated on what is right or wrong when those who have the greatest opportunity and responsibility to show what is right or wrong continually stuff it up?
Shops like this frustrate me, no wonder PETA are on the aquarium worlds backs.

Look at this, I thought this sort of thing went out 30 years ago. But wait this is the only way these fish can live now.
That's sad that they can't keep them in larger tanks with dimmer lighting... At least their tanks are cleaner than big chain pet stores

A store that has been around ever since the beginning of the 1970's, has closed down a few years ago. They were always more expensive than other stores with their fish. But they had great fish overthere and beautiful planted tanks to show. But the last 10 years of their existence, they were way off. A lot of dead fish sticking to the inlet of the filter. And most were skinny fish. It turned out when I asked one of the employees what may have caused it. The employee said that they were only feeding those fish twice a week. For they were too occupied with other things. This made me wanna cry. And despite of the fact that a lot of those fish didn't look well, the store asked still the full price (which was already higher than other stores). A total wrong policy in my opinion.
But despite of those issues, I did pay a visit frequently. It's was more to see if there were fish that were still worth to rescue. But it's so sad that a store that had a high standard, got so degraded by themselves.

It's sad to see fish in such a manner. the employees at my local Petco are surprisingly good at their job. they quarantine and treat sick fish and remove dead ones, luckily. I've only seen one dead betta fish in my years of going there. once I saw a betta who had a tumor, they required a photo of the tank and an experienced fish keeper. I know this seems like a lie, but I'm telling the truth.

It's sad to see fish in such a manner. the employees at my local Petco are surprisingly good at their job. they quarantine and treat sick fish and remove dead ones, luckily. I've only seen one dead betta fish in my years of going there. once I saw a betta who had a tumor, they required a photo of the tank and an experienced fish keeper. I know this seems like a lie, but I'm telling the truth.
That is really cool to hear! Maybe others will start doing the same

Interesting debate, that's why I posted this. Bottom line is that assuming an lfs is well run just because it's a small independent business is just as wrong as assuming every single store of any given chain is a mismanaged dump.

A small locally owned Mom and Pop type pet shop will always be your best bet for nice fish. The big outfits ? Everything they sell is just something to make a buck whether it's alive or packaged makes no difference . It's just product. Go to a green house and look at the piles of dead plants. They sell to people that kill their plants and then come back for more. Same thing at PetsMart , Petco or whoever . Little Johnny gets a goldfish or a lizard for his birthday and kills it somehow in a few days. "Waaaahhh ! Mommy , Mommy ! Tralfaz died ! " "That's OK precious we'll get you a new one ". That and a lack of help or priorities. Joe that was supposed to take care of the fish that day called in or got reassigned to stock the cat food department because big shots from corporate are making an inspection this week. It's just business. Go see Mom and Pop.

I think a lot depends on the head of the fish dept. ( if the store has one). My local Petco has a knowledgeable dept head. It’s better kept than the Petsmart. I haven’t found one LFS.
Same here. Central NJ both Petco's near me have a nice selection and I don't mind buying from them, knowledgeable staff. Can't say the same about Petsmart, they don't even come close.

Most reactions

Back