Pool Filter Sand...

BitterCowgal

Reaction score
First, let me just let ya'll know that I'm new to using sand, so pardon my silly questions. :p I am wanting to finish switching the rest of my tanks over to sand however it'd be $60 to $80 each tank if I tried using the sand from the lfs.

I purchased some Pool Filter Sand last night from a local pool store. Once I got it home however, I noticed that it's quite a coarse grain. :unsure: I'm not familiar with this type of sand. Is this normal? I got Pool Filter Sand as thats what everyone seems to recommend.

My husband and I have the following fish in our fishroom and all but 3 of the tanks would be being switched over to this sand.

We have:
Fancy Goldfish, Clown Knifefish, a Tiger Shovelnose Catfish, Royal Plecos, Rubber Plecos, a Gold Severum, Green Severums, a Channel Catfish, an Electric Catfish, Apple Snails, Angelfish, Cory Cats, and a Dragon Goby.

Is Pool Filter Sand safe for all of the above fish? Several do like to dig and I don't want the larger grain to cause them damage. The brand of Pool Filter Sand I have is called.. Hercules.

Insight appreciated.

hi ya ...i need to read up on pool sand pmsl, but i use play sand we get it from our local diy store at about £2 a bag, cheap and safe and the grains r small...good luck

I use and recommend play sand as well. However it does require a large amount of rinsing. I've never use pool filter sand so I can't vouch for this but I have heard one of the main advantages of PFS (pool filter sand) is that it does not need large amounts of rinsing...actually I've heard it needs no rinsing but I think you should atleast rinse everything that goes into a tank.

Read the bag. Does it say "do not use in aquariums" if not then it should be ok. I found a bag of playsand with that warning on it once. That's why I ask. The larger grain size shouldn't be a problem...actually it should be beneficial. The larger grains don't get compacted as easily as the tiny grains found in PS (play sand) Also the larger grains will prevent the sand from becoming suspended in your water column.

If you have a magnetic driven impeller be careful not to get much sand in it. It can tear up your impeller.

I suppose you have read the pinned topic on changing from gravel to sand. If not it's worth reading.

There isn't anything on the bag warning not to use it in aquariums. It just says the brand name 'Hercules' and that it's pool filter sand. It's quartz sand according to the bag. I considered play sand but it's too fine and dirty for me. I don't have the ambition to sit cleaning sand for hours on end...lol.

Most pool sand should be okay as it is intended for use in water to begin with. They don't have to list if it is going to have an effect on the water conditions. It could make the water hard and you wouldn't know unless you test your conditions very frequently. It should be okay for the most part though.

Pool sand (as in the sand you put in pool filters) is probably one of the best sands you can get for an aquarium. Its grains are fairly large, and it will not compact too easily. Also, it can be washed fairly easily compared to play-sand. That said, it can differ between brands, but it should affect water chemisty. at all.

Michele

I used pool filter sand in 2 of my tanks. I like the large size of the granules, because less of it gets sucked up in my "gravel vac" than I think a finer sand would.

I have some spotted raphael catfish, and they like to dig out holes in the sand to hide in.(usually next to or under decorative objects in the tank) I never noticed any problems with their barbels getting damaged.

To be honest I would be more worried by the lack of a very large tank in your collection.

I may have missed it, but Clown knives get past 2 feet and TSN get past 3 and often to 4 feet. Considering how fast the TSN grow, that 29 gallon will soon be too small.

Unless there's a warning label on them about not using them in aquariums (because of cross contamination from their facility with fertilizers or other products), then pool filter sand should be safe for all fish. As a matter of fact, some companies are now realizing this and explicitly repackaging them and marketing it for pond use.

Pool filter sand is meant for pools that people swim in so it's almost always inert and safe for use with fish.

I paid $7.99 for 50lbs of it. :nod:

andywg: The clownknifes, catfish, angels and severums all have larger tanks on the way. None are large enough yet to require a huge tank. ;) I suppose their current tanks could be defined as 'Grow out' tanks. I'll make sure to specify that in my profile in a few moments. Thanks for your concern!

Thanks for everyones response! I think I'll go ahead and wash it up and set it up in one of my cycling tanks. That way I can test water parameters a few times and no fish are at risk in the process. :)

Most reactions

Back