pond

SConrad

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Titusville, Florida...WHERE THE SPACE SHUTTLE GOES
well i set up a pond about three weekends ago, maybe four. well about four days ago i noticed algae growing in the pond. it's very bad now, i can't even see the bottom of the pond where the goldfish hangout and they should be stickin out real well with their colors. i put my pleco from my tropical tank in there to see if he could do any help..but i can't even see him to see if he's helpin on the bottom...what should i do!?

Attachments

• full_pond.jpeg
    full_pond.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 52
ok for one the pond is new and i also note that youve got plants in there , the pond needs some time to establish a balance ,what sort of filter pump etc have you got running how deep width length ?

no the plants are fine but After planting it is quite normal for a pond to turn pea-soup green. This is a natural process that the pond will go through. Once the plants begin to grow and establish themselves, the correct balance will be found and the pool should clear. Do not be tempted to empty the pool and refill as the whole process will repeat itself.you might have been a bit quick off the mark with the fish (how many you got in there ?)

germanshepherdlver said:
a pelco?????????they are tropical and will die in cold water :crazy:
aggreed but he is in florida

bribones said:
The-Wolf do you have any coldwater fish ?
not anymore, but I had two large ponds some years back
(oh, how I miss my ponds :/ )
I did post some pics ages ago in the cold water forum

Is the pond in direct sunlight? Algae blooms are common in newly set-up ponds as they have not settled into their nitrogen cycle so exposure to high light levels (alot of sun) causes the rapid growth of algae. So large water changes will help, in the long term you need to achieve the right balance of plants and fish so the algae is out competed and cannot thrive. Faster cures are chemical treatments and other treatmens like barley straw.

yeah, at some point in the day it's in direct sunlight, but probably only 4-5 hours a day because my house blocks the evening light and the houses across the street block the morning...i don't know what you mean by "in the long term you need to achieve the right balance of plants and fish so the algae is out competed and cannot thrive"...i mean, i know what you're saying but i don't know the actual balance...so if sombody could help me out right there that'd be great.

Most reactions

Back