pond setup

dragoon459

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i'm still kinda new to this forum and I usually talk in the aqurium section, but my dad wants to start start a small pond in the backyard. I need to know all of the different equipment needed to start one because I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never owned or run a pond before. The area we have to use for pond space is about 10ft by 10ft.

a decent sized pump is a must and id recommend a bio filter combined with a uv light to kill off any algea other than the pond liner and the gravel/sand whatever you decide to put in a substrata youl need some airiating plants and plants around the edges to supply some shade for the fish and maybe a lilly,waterfalls are optional but do tend to be a good idea as it allows the water a good airing ,depending on the type of fish your going to keep (koi tend to be distructive) you may have to put the plants into pots and weigh them down with gravel,go for as deep a pond as you can manage to prevent freezing in winter a minimum of 4ft is normaly recommended for koi ,netting for over the pond if there are trees nearby as leaves in the autumn will build up and rot giving off high levels of chemicals

other good pond fish are....

Rudd
Roach
Tench
Grass carp
Carp
orfe
then all your variations of goldfish.

in a pond of atleast 6x6x3 you could house a number of these fish listed

you could also get a sturgeon.

well bugger me paul long time no see i thought youd emigrated :lol: hows the job at the store going ,hows your feet

re fish i keep a variety of koi and some commons along with shibumkins and comets

Most reactions

Back