Pond questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So JuiceBox (trade mark limited) could put a group of little ones in the pond and grow them until they mature, then eat most of them and leave a male and female behind?

JuiceBox (trade mark limited)
First off, why do you keep saying this?

Secondly, I wouldn’t recommend getting any more than 4. You could probably get away with 5-6 though.

That is with no koi/goldfish. The possibility of the male and female breeding is very high. She might be able to sell the fry to someone wanting to stock their pond.

LOL, I am hinting at her to trade mark her nickname JuiceBox so she can use it for her painted shoes and other items when she starts her own business.

-------------
How easy are bluegills to breed and how do they breed?

Bluegills are egg-layers. Eggs and milt -- the liquid containing the sperm -- are released into the water over a pit in the substrate, which the male fish has constructed. The eggs are fertilized as they fall toward the gravel and remain in the nest during their incubation period. The male usually guards both his nest and the newly hatched fry. The substrate in a bluegill-breeding aquarium should be small and rounded, as the male builds his nest by moving gravel in its mouth.

(https://animals.mom.me/raising-bluegill-in-an-aquarium-12571624.html)

This is what website I did for research. ;)

I have one bluegill that accidentally got into my outdoor pond with my mollies and it nips at their fins and i cant get him out. But bluegill would be great for a pond. Especially red brest sun fish.

I have one bluegill that accidentally got into my outdoor pond with my mollies and it nips at their fins and i cant get him out. But bluegill would be great for a pond. Especially red brest sun fish.
Yes, Bluegill would definitely try to eat guppies, they are the perfect size for a bluegills mouth.

We will have them for food so like colin said get a bunch and eat them as they get bigger eat some and let the last couple breed and start over.... he never said they would eat each other

If you are culturing them for food, set up a few ponds and move the parents after they breed so you get a new batch of young fish every month. You can leave the babies in one pond while the adults get moved to another pond and breed there.

If you are culturing them for food, set up a few ponds and move the parents after they breed so you get a new batch of young fish every month. You can leave the babies in one pond while the adults get moved to another pond and breed there.
It's not gonna be a full blown operation:) just to have a fish every once in awhile. I'll talk to them about it though. Would they both need to be the 750 gallons or could we do 2 600 gallon ones?

No, they won’t eat each other when they are all the same size! Why won’t you guys listen?

If you get say 15 baby bluegill that are all 2 inches long, how would they eat each other? There is so possible way.

No, they won’t eat each other when they are all the same size! Why won’t you guys listen?

If you get say 15 baby bluegill that are all 2 inches long, how would they eat each other? There is so possible way.
We never said they would!! We said that we would eat them! Us! Humans!

LOL, what are you talking about?
We haven't said anything about them eating each other. We are talking about JuiceBox's family eating the fish when the fish have grown up :)

-----------------
It's not gonna be a full blown operation:) just to have a fish every once in awhile. I'll talk to them about it though. Would they both need to be the 750 gallons or could we do 2 600 gallon ones?
The bigger the pond, the faster they grow and the more fish you can keep in them.

If you have the space and the bigger ponds aren't that expensive, go as big as possible. :)

LOL, what are you talking about?
We haven't said anything about them eating each other. We are talking about JuiceBox's family eating the fish when the fish have grown up :)

-----------------

The bigger the pond, the faster they grow and the more fish you can keep in them.

If you have the space and the bigger ponds aren't that expensive, go as big as possible. :)
Okay :) I think we have room. Lol it's only a 9000 sq ft yard and it already has a 20foot greenhouse, a 6 foot green house and a chicken coop but we can probably make it work!

Secondly, I wouldn’t recommend getting any more than 4. You could probably get away with 5-6 though.

That is with no koi/goldfish. The possibility of the male and female breeding is very high. She might be able to sell the fry to someone wanting to stock their pond.
They mean humans eat the fish.

If you can get ponds that are deeper (higher), that will increase water volume and help them grow faster too.
eg: if there are 2 ponds available and both are 6 foot in diameter but one is 2 foot high and one is 3 foot high, get the one that is tallest to maximise the water volume.

If you put a green house over the ponds the fish will have warmer water for longer and that will give them a longer growing season so they should get bigger faster.

Most reactions

Back