Pond Guppies

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TK Tiger

Reaction score
here in Durban South Africa we have lots of outdoor water features at office complexes. at ours we have a small pond with Koi and hundreds of guppies and possibly some telapia too.

i want to take some of these guppies out the dirty pond and have them in my tank at home, some guys here at work have done it and i want to do this too.

can anyone offer some advice on the best way to this. i need to know the best way to minimise stress to the little fish, also i dont want to polute my water as my tank is very clean and in good condition.

Guppies are quite robust little fish. You will need a polybag, not a glass or plastic jar. 1/4 fill the poly bag with the pond water and catch with a net no more than 4 fish for each bag. You can add some stress coat in the water at this stage and trap as much air in the bag as possible and tie a knot. So the bag should be 80% air and 20% water. This should be sufficient to give you time to get the fish home. You will now need a quarantine tank with some already matured water. Place your fish in the tank and run the tank with the filter etc running for a week or so, and watch out for any disease. Treat if necessary. once you're happy that the fish are healthy you can transfer them into your proper tank.

this is awesome information thanks i am gonna give it a try, i will let you all know what has appened. i am also really excited i have been given a 3 foot tank today and will get it tomorrow it has some leaks but i will fix them and then have a new tank

yea.. if its from a pond, definately quarantine them before you introduce them to your other fish.. dont want a disease disaster on your hands.. stress coat will definately help to reduce the stress, and should keep your guppies healthy and happy throughout the move

Most reactions

Back