Pond Fish

scoobyandy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
got a few questions for you experts out there.

1. i need to add fish to my out side pond, only small approxx 30gal. when best time to add them and how many ruffly for the size.
2. i have a waterfall on the pond and i know this gives them air, plus there is oxygenating weed in the pond, how long per day should i have the feature running?

Thanks in advance

Andy

got a few questions for you experts out there.

1. i need to add fish to my out side pond, only small approxx 30gal. when best time to add them and how many ruffly for the size.
2. i have a waterfall on the pond and i know this gives them air, plus there is oxygenating weed in the pond, how long per day should i have the feature running?

Thanks in advance

Andy

30gals is far too small for a fish pond, 3ft minimum depth is advised for a goldfish pond, 4ft depth minimum for a koi pond- you can't keep fancy goldfish outdoors if your climate gets frosty/freezing at all during the winter (2 fancy goldfish would be all you coudl fit in a 30gal pond).
Outdoor pond goldfish like commons and comets grow far too large for such a pond either way at a potential size of 12inches+, and would most likely die come the winter anyway due to freezing temps- they would be lucky to make it past the first year, which isn't much considering they can live over 30 years.
Its why you should do as much research as posible before making ponds for fish, i wouldn't advise putting any fish in there at all- sorry if this sounds blunt or disheartening, but its the truth of the reality of your situation right now.

Since you really can't do goldfish, I believe you can add mosquito fish. I'm not sure what the real name is for them, but they don't grow nearly as large as goldies do.

Mosquito fish are tropical, scoobyandy lives in the midlands in the UK which is far too cold for such fish. The only way you could have such fish in such a small pond is by adding a very powerful heater to keep the pond temps tropical or sub-tropical throughout the whole year.
The pond is only good for frogs and dragonflys and things which choose to live in it as it currently stands.

Since you really can't do goldfish, I believe you can add mosquito fish. I'm not sure what the real name is for them, but they don't grow nearly as large as goldies do.

Mosquito fish are tropical, scoobyandy lives in the midlands in the UK which is far too cold for such fish. The only way you could have such fish in such a small pond is by adding a very powerful heater to keep the pond temps tropical or sub-tropical throughout the whole year.
The pond is only good for frogs and dragonflys and things which choose to live in it as it currently stands.

Oh wow... sorry! I live in the southeast US, so it's quite a bit warmer where I'm from.

Could you make the pond larger? That would certainly give you more options.

Most reactions

Back