Polystyrene

ripil

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello
has anyone got any ideas on how to get hold of 120cm by 55cm by 25cm polystyrene? this is apart from going to b&q or wickes. ebay do bits but i want to make one 4 foot back ground. thanks

I found B&Q was the only place.

When you cut it be sure to melt the edges slightly with a heat gun to stop the pellets from breaking off.

Generally what I've seen is several sheets stuck together, often cut in layers and then built up in layers. Thickest I've seen is about 2 inches of plain polystyrene.

most 4 foot tanks have a cross brace so you will not get it into the tank in one piece anyway.

Hi All,
A good way to cut polystyrene is with a piece of fine wire and a battery, connect the wire across the battery terminals, current flows, the wire gets hot, and melts/cuts tho' the poly!! to give you a nice finish, an old tip from my model making days. The battery only needs to be say 4x AA's the wire perhaps a single strand from some multi-stranded cable or bit of an old fire/HEATER element, etc.

Hope it helps,
Regards
Mel.

builders merchants sell polystyrene sheets 8' x 4' 25mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm thickness is normally stocked.

But the denser pink or blue insulation is better. IMO. also available at buiders merchants.

I think the idea was the OP didn't want to have a 6' x 4' offcut lying around afterwards ;)

Been there, done that....still got the polystyrene sheet in the shed :)

I think the idea was the OP didn't want to have a 6' x 4' offcut lying around afterwards ;)

Been there, done that....still got the polystyrene sheet in the shed :)
May be but still cheaper than b and q.

I beg to differ, my local builders merchants are actually £1.50 more expensive per sheet but I don't think price was even an issue with this thread, more the size.

I made a 3D background using this method, I got the Polystyrene from B&Q but I saw some in black, it was in a pck so had to buy it that way but it's there for if I decide to do another tank with it.

I cut it to size by using a wallpaper scaper heated up on the stove, went through it like a hot knife in butter.

Then using the hot scaper I made marks and dents in it to make it look like rock, the effect was very good.

I've had a few nice comments on it from people who have seen it so it must be OK.

I used aquarium sealent to stick to the back of the tank by the way, and I also cut out a space for the heater and pump so they could still stick to the tank wall.

Most reactions

Back