Polystyrene Under Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AshleyNZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Alright guys, Ive had mixed opinions on this one - should I have a layer of polystyrene under my aquarium? The stand is possibly uneven (Will do a watertest tomorrow, but seems like the whole house is on a lean)
Anyway, we have earthquakes every few months and im wondering if it would be better to have a 3/8 inch layer of it under the tank?

Thanks in advance

i always use a layer of polystyrene regardless of whether the stand its going on is perfectly flat or not. the only exception to this would be a juwel tank that has a built in frame.

I can honestly say in my whole life, I've never before responded to an earthquake/fish tank question! :)

Anyway, yes, if your tank is just glass all round, as in no plastic support at the bottom, you will need to use polystyrene. 3/8 inch is just about right under normal circumstances. To negate earthquakes...I really don't know!

Thank you! Does it matter if it's like 3 different pieces, because I dont know where to get a 4 foot piece of polystyrene. 

Also if your tank is not level, just put some packers our bits of wood underneath the low side.

I have, and longways, with the level on it, it's perfect. Then on the width part of the stand, it's off level. Interesting, so i'll have to fill it tomorrow to test it out. Thank you.

AshleyNZ said:
I have, and longways, with the level on it, it's perfect. Then on the width part of the stand, it's off level. Interesting, so i'll have to fill it tomorrow to test it out. Thank you.
how big is the tank?, as mine was the same when I set it up in my old house, but some packers at the back and front of the stand levelled it. Mine is only 120l though.

Mine's just over 200L. It was 1cm unlevel, so wasnt too hard to fix up. Ill do a watertest to see how well i've fixed the problem. 
Can I use multiple pieces of polystyrene or would one sheet be more ideal?

Thank you :) I will try to source some when I get money. Still got to pay off the actual tank before I can start working on it

Almost all my tanks have a styro cut to fit underneath. Acts as a good shock absorber as well as prevent the glass underneath from getting scratches.

Most reactions

Back