Polluted river

The state of that river makes me sad. So many amazing fish in Thailand. I always wanted to try keeping halfbeaks when I had a southeast Asia tank, but for some reason I never did.

Our rivers are reasonably clean because we are close to the mountains. The creek from which I get my irrigation water, however, flows through several miles of cow pastures after it leaves the mountains. I haven't tested my pond water for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite lately, but judging by the constant algae blooms, I'd say the cows are doing more than drinking in the water.

This is our top predator fish, the Muskellunge. Can reach 5 foot long. Inch long dagger teethe. Cool fish!

And this is our largest fish, the lake sturgeon
That's terrifying. I could not handle fish like that at all :rofl:

I was on honeymoon in Denmark swimming in the gorgeous lake and found myself surrounded by fish. Absolutely flipped out :rofl:

I love nature but like, over there, at a distance. I don't think we've any huge or unusual fish in our rivers here. Though they are scenic :wub:

(Internet pic of my local river.)

Attachments

• clare-glens-co-limerick-ireland-irish-the-irish-image-collection-.jpg
    clare-glens-co-limerick-ireland-irish-the-irish-image-collection-.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 80
Let’s take a look at the fish from the river!

Blue panchax killifish parentsView attachment 113044

Also I do bred and released her and her fries in to the wild.
View attachment 113043
Not sure how kind it is releasing them back into the river - and especially the fry. They won't have had any opportunity to gradually adapt to the mucky water. Probably better not to remove fish in the first place - or if you do, keep them because they will acclimate to good conditions and no longer be able to cope with bad.

This is our top predator fish, the Muskellunge. Can reach 5 foot long. Inch long dagger teethe. Cool fish!

And this is our largest fish, the lake sturgeon
The sturgeon has a nice face.

The other one looks terrifying - not unlike our British pike. Pike usually only get to about 3 feet long, but 5 foot specimens are not unknown - through rare, thank heavens! I've seen one take a little family of ducklings one-by-one with the poor mother duck panicking and terrified.

I love sturgeon. I hate that people sell their eggs for hundreds of dollars. :(

We have a sturgeon season here in the winter, the native American Indians can catch all they want while the rest of us have a quota.The Indians are usually pretty good about it. They can fish where ever they want but usually stay on the reservations where the fishing is actually much better.

Hi TFF

So basicly there is a polluted river; it have been expose to chemical such as oil, cloth dye and even poop from toilet everyday, enjoy the picture of the river...

Smelly water and weird stuff in the water; oil, poop and cloth dye.
View attachment 113036
Super-Long 3 meters anacharis (Elodea)
View attachment 113037
Sad to see. Hate to say it but the world will be better of when humans go extinct :(

The sturgeon has a nice face.

The other one looks terrifying - not unlike our British pike. Pike usually only get to about 3 feet long, but 5 foot specimens are not unknown - through rare, thank heavens! I've seen one take a little family of ducklings one-by-one with the poor mother duck panicking and terrified.
yeah we have pike and musky that do the same. We rescued a native turtle a couple weeks ago that was attacked by a musky. We brought it to a wildlife center.
20200726_144032.jpg
20200726_142944.jpg
20200726_142940.jpg

Its extremely rare, but musky can attack people too. This was recent. Look at the size of the leg bite :eek:

That's terrifying. I could not handle fish like that at all :rofl:

I was on honeymoon in Denmark swimming in the gorgeous lake and found myself surrounded by fish. Absolutely flipped out :rofl:

I love nature but like, over there, at a distance. I don't think we've any huge or unusual fish in our rivers here. Though they are scenic :wub:

(Internet pic of my local river.)
thats beautiful!!

You know, i like the smaller fish that are at the sandy beaches, types of minnows i believe.

But if you sit in the water very still for awhile or stand still, these minnows will come over and will nibble your toes and feet and it tickles and its actually pretty fun to interact with the wild fish this way.

But I'd probably run for the hills if there was a musky or a pike (granted I hilariously freak out with seaweed or algae). A sturgeon no problem as they have no teeth and aren't dangerous
Just huge. I've hit one with a canoe once, like scraping a rock. Really cool fish.

yeah we have pike and musky that do the same. We rescued a native turtle a couple weeks ago that was attacked by a musky. We brought it to a wildlife center.
View attachment 113251View attachment 113252View attachment 113253

Its extremely rare, but musky can attack people too. This was recent. Look at the size of the leg bite :eek:
Oh.

My.

WORD! o_O

But when you think - a five-foot fish is the same length as I am tall (give an inch) - and will be a damn sight stronger!

View attachment 113251View attachment 113252View attachment 113253

Speaking of turtles, look at this little guy I found!!
8B291433-44F6-4B4E-BCCB-3586EBE49E13.jpeg

He was very cute, lol.

Pretty turtle! I have those in my small creek. :wub:

Oh.

My.

WORD! o_O

But when you think - a five-foot fish is the same length as I am tall (give an inch) - and will be a damn sight stronger!
right? I'm 5 foot as well. I'd be eyeing those 5 footer fish very carefully haha

Most reactions

Back