Plumbing

andyk

Reaction score
hi
Does anyone know a good link or have any information i could have on how to plumb in a sump from an overflow box?
cheers andy

HOB style?

I guess it doesn't really matter but you just use a 1" pipe from the overflow drain to the sump. Most overflows come with a flexible hose that friction fits to a fitting on the bottom of the drain. This pipe or hose then goes down and enters the sump. Most people use some sort of trickle tower that filters the water as the first step in the sump. The most basic setup is a drain to a trickle tower with a return pump back to the tank.

Here is my trickle tower, you can see the overflow drain line coming into the top of the tower above the bio balls
WetDrySump.jpg

After it goes through some live rock and down to my sump
SkimmerandFuge.jpg

I use a skimmer in the first area of my sump. The second area is a refugium. The last section is where the return pump sits.

I have changed my filtration/sump area around since these photos, but if you need any help on specifics just ask. Also I can get some shots of the overflow drain for you but its pretty self explanitory.

Thanx for the reply.
This does help me alot...One problem i can forsee from a bit of research i have done into overflow box's is the positioning around my tank stress bars. From looking at models available it seem that the streess bars would just be in the way.
andy

DIY is the way to go for that or if your not to good with Acrylic bending then try using some sheet acrylic and make a 3 inch square tower in the corner of your tank with a hard plumed syphon in an upsidedown J shape this should do the trick!

why could you not just use a constant syphon from a rigid hose?....why do you need the box?
andy

so you could just have a rigid piece of hose with a filter of some sort on it?

Most reactions

Back