Pleco In My Pond

Reaction score
along time ago when i was 5 or so, we had a pleco in our pond, i dont know how it got there, but it was there. can we put in a pleco? crrently our pond is full with goldfish (and i think maybe a koi or two), and the pleco we used to have was a smallish pleco that i think was either a plecostomus, or a royal plec. in the spring, i was thinking about getting a LDA 33, (i dont know their real name), the ones that are black and have big white spots. the pleco we had in the pond lived in a pond full of algea, so it was always satisfied. sice it was in the pond before we moved in, it lived for a long time then died of old age. so, do you think a LDA 33 would be good for my pond? the pond is very big, around 500 to 800 gallons. please tell me if its good! remeber, LDA 33. :) thanks for helping!

The temp of the pond would help alot. Unless you live somewhere very hot then i would say no. Anything below 22c will be to cold for most plecs.

moved to the pleco section.

i guess if the temps always gonna be ok would be fine, obviously if it drops too low for too long wont be good for your tropical pleco. I live in England tho so all i know is cold. :fun:

yeah but im looking at a big white spot pleco.

its a manga. you'd know if your jap.

LDA 33 are very sensitive they are not algea eaters either they prefer a meaty diet warm temps and flowing water. Royals are more adaptable somehwat but the only plco I have heard of being in ponds is common plecs . They dont grow very large in aquarium and are very sensitive to water quality. I live in Texas also that's cool you kept a royal in a pond nevefr heard of that being done but I want to build a heated above ground koi pond sometime I hope.

Didn't the have snow and ice in dallas this past winter?

I know from reading my bass fishing reports that water temps in texas drop into the 40's
that would be way to cold for a tropical fish. so unless your planning on heating the pond I don't think it will work

yeah but im looking at a big white spot pleco.

its a manga. you'd know if your jap.

LDA 33 are very sensitive they are not algea eaters either they prefer a meaty diet warm temps and flowing water. Royals are more adaptable somehwat but the only plco I have heard of being in ponds is common plecs . They dont grow very large in aquarium and are very sensitive to water quality. I live in Texas also that's cool you kept a royal in a pond nevefr heard of that being done but I want to build a heated above ground koi pond sometime I hope.

Agreed, not particularly a good algae eater. They are omnivores and will a little of everything. They appreciate vegetable matter,and are fond of grazing on biofilm found on substrate ,and or other surfaces.Temps below low 70's would not be good.
Currently have three year old LDA33 and they are a very handsome fish.(Not a fast grower in my expierience)

Most reactions

Back