Do you wash your hands after touching your tank water

• No never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes if i can be bothered

• Yes always

• Total voters
I know a few people that have contracted fish tuberculosis from aquarium water. They both worked in the aquarium industry and had small cuts on their hands. They developed a localised infection that did not heal and after several months of antibiotic treatment the doctors finally tested a biopsy for TB. They came back positive and the granulomar was removed via surgery and a 3 month course of antibiotics was given to prevent reinfection.
One of the people actually developed problems with his lymph glands and had enlarged veins in his arm. He was quite unwell for a bit but is getting better now.
Fish TB is quite common in fish all over the world. It is being spread from Asian fish farms to wholesalers and finally to you the hobbyist. It can take months or even years for an infected fish to die from TB and there are not really any symptoms until it is too late. While the fish has TB and is swimming around, it is contaminating its environment with the bacterium.

There are also plenty of other drug resistant diseases coming from Asian imported fishes. Poor diagnosis, over-medication, and improper use of aquarium pharmaceuticals has caused this problem.

Everyone should wash their hands with soapy water after working in a fish tank. If you have any open wounds, cut or abrasions on your hands or arms then try to avoid aquarium/ pond water until they have healed. Alternatively use gloves and wash up with soapy water afterwards.

i always have a bottle of brandy near by just in case i get a gut full of tank water lol
it's just an excuse to have a brandy
OK, but my eyes are burning :lol:
If I dip my hand in tank water I usually get a towel and dry it off, but when i've been fiddling with stuff in the tank I usually give my hands/arms a quick rinse.

Unless i've been eating something greasy I don't bother to wash my hands before I put them in the tank.

When doing water changes I put the hose pipe infront of a powerhead and that gets it going really quickly, however on some tanks I just quickly suck the hose and wallah, I've perfected the technique of this :lol:

Most reactions

Back