Please Tell Me If This Is Correct?

talla2xlc

Reaction score
-So acidic water automatically converts ammonia into ammonium;
-and 6.0 pH is too acidic for the nitrogen cycle to happen (right?)

^Given that, is it essentially true, then, that as long as you keep your pH at a stable 6.0 then you don't even need the tank to cycle? And then you don't even need plants to do the naturally planted aquarium because the ammonium is harmless anyway? I'm still learning and trying to work this out in my head...

I've been cycling my tank for about 6 weeks now and slowly my pH kept dropping to more acidic. It started gradually. When I first set the tank up it was really alkaline because of the tap water and it was a struggle to get it up to my desired 6.8. A few weeks later and it was easy to keep it at 6.8. Then it started going to 6.4 and then it was a stable 6.0 and has remained so. Well just days before it went to 6.0 I got a nitrite reading! But then a couple days later the pH was 6.0, and like a horrible trick, the nitrites disappeared, still no nitrates. Then I learned that nitrites die off in water that is this acidic. So. I've been struggling with pH Up to get it back to 6.8 but the next day it's right back at 6.0. So I figured, okay forget this cycle, it wasn't meant for me. I was considering doing the planted tank so that the plants eat up the ammonia/ammonium and I never have to even deal with nitrites/nitrates. But, going back to my initial question, are the plants even needed in a pH of 6.0? (I ask this because I've had HORRIBLE luck with plants years ago. Still want to get some but they most likely will die...) Because at 6.0 the ammonia is ammonium and there will never be nitrites/nitrates because it's too acidic for them to thrive... I figure as long as I do 20% water changes/gravel vac say twice a week, and make sure the pH stays at 6.0, my fish will be fine. Right? Am I right here or is there something I am missing? And I'm sure there is lol. Like I said, I'm still new to this whole thing...Thanks!

Dont forget that both ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4) are converted into nitrite (NO2), so you still need to cycle the filter

Dont forget that both ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4) are converted into nitrite (NO2), so you still need to cycle the filter

Ugh. lol but the thing is I was just beginning to get a nitrite reading but then the acidic pH killed it off, I was told. When my tank naturally goes to 6.0 then even if I temporarily keep on top of it to keep to 6.8 won't the cycle be destroyed the next time it gets to 6.0? That's where I'm REALLy confused :sad: And so I'm considering plants then since they eat up the ammonia and don't even let it convert to nitrites.

Ammonium and Ammonia are present in an equilibrium in a fish tank, both are always present regardless of PH, it is just that the equilibrium shifts towards the Ammonium side in a solution when it has an acidic PH.

Your tank obviously has a low buffering capacity, so adding some sodium hydrogen carbonate will help to counter this.

Ammonium and Ammonia are present in an equilibrium in a fish tank, both are always present regardless of PH, it is just that the equilibrium shifts towards the Ammonium side in a solution when it has an acidic PH.

Your tank obviously has a low buffering capacity, so adding some sodium hydrogen carbonate will help to counter this.

Oh Ok, thank you. So does a low buffering capacity have to do with water hardness? Is sodium hydrogen carbonate something I can easily but at a pet store and will that be how I can keep my pH at a 6.8 where I'd like it to be? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just learning about all this!

Yes, Hardness is how well your water will cope with the PH changes, the Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate is Bicarbonate of soda powder that is available at any super market. Add 1 tsp for every 10 gallons, then test your PH and then add more as necessary, you could do water changes to prevent rapid ph changes also, or you could hand some crushed coral in the tank in an old tight as this will buffer the PH and it is a better alternative to the bicarbonate of soda.

Yes, Hardness is how well your water will cope with the PH changes, the Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate is Bicarbonate of soda powder that is available at any super market. Add 1 tsp for every 10 gallons, then test your PH and then add more as necessary, you could do water changes to prevent rapid ph changes also, or you could hand some crushed coral in the tank in an old tight as this will buffer the PH and it is a better alternative to the bicarbonate of soda.

Ok thanks, I will look into getting that.

Most reactions

Back